I understand building a professional-looking website can cost a lot of money. So, I’ve compiled 9+ of the best free website builders that can do the job right.
More companies are now offering freemium versions of their website builders. I have the opportunity of testing several of these builders, and now I’ll share with you everything I’ve discovered.
- What Is The Best Free Website Builder?
- 1. Weebly – Top Pick
- 2. WordPress – Best Value For Money
- 3. Wix – Most Features
- 4. Google Sites – Best For Online Projects
- 5. SimpleSite – Best Mobile Editor
- 6. Odoo – Best For Modern Business Website
- 7. Webnode – Ideal for Smaller eCommerce Sites
- 8. Ecwid – Popular Add-On Store Builder
- 9. Square Online – Best For Small eCommerce Business
- 10. Blogger – Best For Business Blogs
What Is The Best Free Website Builder?
Don’t have the time to read the entire review? You can check out my top 3 picks at a glance: Weebly, WordPress, and Wix.
|Best overall. Weebly is easy to scale and easy to use for most businesses. Free version available.||Best value for money. Highly customizable with libraries of add-ons. Free version available.||Most accessible. Web builder with large ready-made templates|
Free version available.
|Try Weebly||Try WordPress||Try Wix|
A free version always has its limitations. So, let’s break down each website builder’s features to determine what exactly you will get.
1. Weebly – Top Pick
Beginner-friendly Website Builder For Small Business Sites [Available For Free]
Website builders are created for a specific purpose.
Weebly happens to be the top pick for entrepreneurs looking for an excellent web-building platform that can help scale their small business sites.
Sounds pretty limited?
I thought so too. However, as I’ve explored its website builder, I’ve discovered it’s flexible enough to satisfy the needs of:
- Students and creative individuals are starting to build their digital presence in the form of a portfolio.
- Agencies promoting online events
- Anyone who wants a personal blog
Weebly for education also piques my interest.
This platform provides educational institutions with a graphical user interface (GUI) where teachers, parents, and students can communicate, post updates, and more.
The website builder you’ll use is the same – easy to use (drag-and-drop function), and no programming is required.
Getting started on the Weebly website builder is easy. You just need to choose whether to create a standard website or include an online store.
Yes, you can still create a decent online store even though Weebly offers limited eCommerce tools and features.
Once you choose what type of website you want to build, it will display all the beautiful and responsive templates available.
All templates are organized in different categories, which gives you an idea of their purposes. The templates are also equipped with all the right tools you need to complete your site.
The main website builder has a simple and clean user interface.
You can immediately figure out how it works as you customize your site.
Pros And Cons Of Weebly
|App Center includes tons of free third-party apps to integrate||Creating a multilanguage website comes with a yearly subscription ($3/month)|
|Templates are responsive and easy to customize||No automatic backup function included|
|Effective pop-up forms to grow your email subscribers||Third-party integration is required for creating a forum|
|Include an auto-save function|
Weebly Pricing Plan
Here’s the list of things you can expect to get when you choose the Weebly free plan:
- Security: Free SSL certificates
- Storage space: 500 MB
- Marketing: Search Engine Optimization and lead capture and contact forms (pop-up)
- Customer Support: Community forum, chat, and email
- Domain: Free to use Weebly subdomain with their branding displayed.
You can easily remove their branding on your page once you connect it to a top-level domain.
2. WordPress – Best Value For Money
Excellent Website Builder For Feature‑Rich Blog and SMB Sites [Available For Free]
WordPress first made a name for itself as the best blogging platform.
But as the technology evolves, as so the human needs, they develop it to work as a full-fledged open-source Content Management System (CMS).
This makes their platform browser-based which helps keep it accessible no matter where you are.
Other benefits you can get are listed as follows:
- Allows multiple users to work on a single account and assign each with a specific role.
- Stores all content in one secure storage place
- Create content with custom formats using its WYSIWYG builder
Speaking of its website builder, its user interface is far different from the standard drag-and-drop builder.
You’re only allowed to customize your website’s main appearance and structure – add a logo, colors, backgrounds, and so on.
If you want to customize the web pages, you can easily do so by going to your dashboard and selecting Pages. Inside the page editor, you can add content using HTML code or edit the standard way.
I chose WordPress website builder as the most value for money because of its flexibility.
One good example of this is its ability to store the design, content, and add-on functions in a separate location. This gives you the full control to customize each area without affecting the others.
Another great flexibility to highlight is its ownership.
You can always get WordPress’ top-level domains, but you can also get them from other web host providers.
It’s best to get a web host with a one-click auto-installer and free migration service for the effortless transfer of your content.
Pros And Cons Of WordPress
|Flexible user interface and customization tools||Live chat assistance is only available on paid plans.|
|Hundreds of responsive templates included (mostly free)||Performing backups and maintenance updates requires manual work.|
|Design, content, and add-ons are stored separately.||Require basic HTML and CSS knowledge|
WordPress Pricing Plan
Get WordPress’ free website builder and expect to receive:
- Jetpack Essential features: Designed to boost your site’s performance while protecting against spammers.
- Security: Pre-installed SSL certificate included to strengthen your privacy and safety.
- Storage Space: 3 GB
- Free themes: Access to a wide variety of professional and responsive templates.
WordPress can provide the right tools whether you’re building a blog, portfolio, or business site. So start working on them now by getting its free plan.
3. Wix – Most Features
Most Flexible Website Editor For Business Owners & Creative Professionals [Available For Free]
Whenever you’re searching for the best website builder, free or paid, Wix will always appear on every search result.
If I haven’t had firsthand experience using their service, I will just think that its website structure has a super-strong SEO.
But that’s not the case.
Many of its users, including me, are impressed by its platform’s versatility to create various types of websites.
Business websites, creative portfolios, or an eCommerce store – you name it, and the Wix website editor can provide you with all the right tools to widen your reach and simply grow.
Sure, its free website editor doesn’t provide as many features as the premium version.
But one thing Wix guarantees, its free version will provide you all the freedom to create your website creatively.
There are three methods you can build your website:
- From scratch, using a blank template
- Using one of the 500 designer-made templates available on its template center
- Or using Wix Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) platform.
On top of that, the website editor features a drag-and-drop function and can support 19 languages.
Wix wants to ensure that everyone can use its platform effortlessly.
Pros And Cons Of Wix
|Automatically creates a mobile-optimized version of your website||Not allowed to interchange templates once the site is built|
|All web content is stored on secure servers||Analytics and tracking tools are not included in the free version|
Wix Pricing Plan
Here’s what you’ll get once you use Wix’s free website editor:
- Free web hosting: Includes advanced security monitoring, automatic set-up upon publishing your website, and 99.9% uptime.
- Storage and bandwidth capacity: 500 MB
- Customer support: standard assistance via chat, help center, and community
- Wix ads: Displays on every page & favicon in URL
Visit the Wix site now and start working on your website.
4. Google Sites – Best For Online Projects
Simplest Website Builder For Personal & Business Use
Google is a popular household name when it comes to cloud computing and collaboration apps.
However, not many have known that it also provides simple yet reliable web-building tools called Google Sites.
At its first launched in 2008, its classic version has pretty limited features such as:
- Pre-designed templates and themes that are optimized solely for the web
- Add/Change colors, logo, fonts, and other visual elements
- Add unlimited subpages
- Add site and page-level permissions
- Add visitor and editor comment section
It may be limited, but they are handy in creating online projects, portfolios, or any knowledge-based web page.
Of course, as years passed and technology evolved, Google Sites rebuilt its platform to make it more beginner-friendly.
With the new and intuitive interface, you can build any website without the need to write a single line of code. You can also view the draft and preview all edits before publishing it.
Other amazing features added or upgraded are listed as follows:
- Include a drag-and-drop and auto-save function
- All web pages are automatically optimized for all devices and web browsers.
- Embed YouTube videos and other Google apps such as presentations, forms, and maps
- Full admin control
- Add a limit on creating subpages. Now only allows up to 5 levels of subpages.
Pros And Cons Of Google Sites
|Simple and user-friendly interface||Limited customization features|
|No programming skills or technical knowledge needed||Integrating third-party apps are limited to Google Apps|
|All sites are automatically saved/added to your Google Drive.||No chat function is available|
Google Sites Pricing Plan
Compared to the other website builders I’ve discussed, Google Sites doesn’t offer a paid version.
It’s completely free, so you can create as many web pages as you want. Just make sure it will not contain a thousand pages or attachments.
Too many pages/attachments can slow down your website’s loading speed and overall performance.
The only time you need to pay is when you decide to purchase the premium edition of Google Workspace.
Start using Google Sites now by creating a Google or Gmail account.
5. SimpleSite – Best Mobile Editor
On-The-Go Website Builder For eCommerce Startup
Having a mobile version of the website builder is standard for most web-building companies.
So, what makes SimpleSite different?
Their team of experts built a more straightforward yet highly optimized interface that allows users to manage their websites using only their mobile browsers.
This saves time and storage space.
When it comes to their web-based website builder, they equipped it with a guide design wizard. This is a program that provides you with step-by-step assistance.
The first step is identifying the type of website you want to create. The following steps are more on filling up the important details of your website.
Once you fully set up your account, it will lead you to the main editor area.
Put your style on it by customizing each web page color, and font style, and add your products’ images.
You can also add other forms of content such as:
- Contact form
Aside from business websites and online stores, SimpleSite is also open to anyone who is interested in creating their first personal blog or website.
Pros And Cons Of SimpleSite
|Ideal for beginners||Limited products to sell|
|Impressive mobile optimization||The themes are basic and outdated.|
|Can create a website within minutes|
SimpleSite Pricing Plan
Whether you’re creating a business or personal website, SimpleSite free plan will give you the tools you need to get started.
- Access to the image bank (free) and mobile editor
- Displays SimpleSite ads
- Publish using their domain
- Sell up to 5 products
Get a firsthand look by creating your account now.
6. Odoo – Best For Modern Business Website
Trusted Business Management Software with Open-Source Website Builder
Odoo may not be a website-making platform by trade, but it offers an impressive and advanced website builder.
After signing up, they immediately display all their available themes for you to pick from.
Unlike other website editors, Odoo allows you to switch themes if you later realize its (current theme) is not the best fit.
Thanks to its intuitive system, even a casual user can create a stunning website like a real pro.
Here are a few of its powerful features included:
- Drag-and-drop building blocks system for effortless adding of elements
- The customization tool allows you to directly make changes from the front end.
- Translation tool for quick language translation of your website
- Embed a pop-up chat window to boost user engagement
- Tons of app integration to expand your website’s function (free and paid)
To get a clear picture of what to expect from Odoo’s website editor, watch this 3-minute video made by their team of experts.
Pros And Cons Of Odoo
|Can fully translate a website into 11 languages||Not ideal for eCommerce sites|
|Powerful CMS backend||First-time users require more time to learn the platform|
|Recommended for small to medium businesses||It offers phone support, but the response time is slow|
Odoo Pricing Plan
Sign up to Odoo and create your website anywhere in the world.
This is made possible as it supports various types of devices and browsers (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge).
7. Webnode – Ideal for Smaller eCommerce Sites
Excellent Website Builder with Multilingual Options
Getting the audience’s attention is one challenge every website owner is facing.
This is where Webnode comes in handy.
The company understands that a beautiful and responsive site is not enough to entice a larger crowd. So, they take personalization to the next level.
And that level is providing you with multi-language options.
This is a perfect solution for entrepreneurs who own a small business or eCommerce store, which targets the international market.
Webnode website builder has a unique user interface.
Don’t worry, it wouldn’t take you long before getting used to it. But let me give you a quick tour of its platform:
- The upper toolbar includes the pages, settings, and publish buttons. It also has your account settings for easy managing of all your projects.
- Every section is provided with an independent gear icon (inside the red box) that contains basic and advanced settings.
- You’ll find the section plus button in between the sections to quickly add another section, text, or image.
Pros And Cons Of Webnode
|Allows you to use Google Drive and other external storage services.||Only provide 100 MB disk space|
|Provide a website backup and recovery feature||The blog feature is limited and basic.|
|Impressive SEO tools|
Webnode Pricing Plan
Sign up to Webnode and enjoy the following features:
- Excellent hosting solution
- Friendly customer support that will reply in your native language (supports 20+ languages)
- Create unlimited website pages
8. Ecwid – Popular Add-On Store Builder
eCommerce Website Builder For Small to Medium-sized Businesses
You may not have heard of Ecwid, but over a million online sellers from 175 countries do trust this eCommerce platform.
As an online seller myself, it piqued my interest.
I set up my free account and straight explored its website builder.
The first thing I’ve noticed is its user interface is a bit overwhelming.
There’s no AI-generated guide or drag-and-drop function provided, so you need to take time getting to know each feature.
If you don’t have much time to spare, I don’t recommend this eCommerce platform to you.
But if you do have the time, you can have a lot of fun creating your online store.
Here’s what I’ve discovered on Ecwid’s free website builder:
- First, customize your storefront by tweaking each site block. You can add your content, logo, background image, and other visual elements.
- To get the exact look and feel you desire for your store, go to the Store Design (under Settings). Here, you can customize the images’ layout and sizes, product page layout, category name position, and more.
- Customize it more by copy-and-paste code or creating your CSS theme.
- Effortlessly add your online store on your website or other eCommerce platforms like WordPress, Wix, and more.
The latter feature is the main reason it got its reputation as the best add-on eCommerce shopping cart.
Pros And Cons Of Ecwid
|Generous free plan coverage||Require purchasing a paid plan to start selling digital products|
|Automatic calculations of tax rates according to the applicable state tax law and location of the store and customer.||Multilingual options are only available on two higher subscription plans.|
|Promote the store on various social channels||No SEO features included.|
|No transaction fees charged on all subscription plans|
Ecwid Pricing Plan
Here are the perks you’ll get when you sign up with Ecwid:
- Create your online store/catalog and add up to 10 products.
- The shopping cart is optimized for mobile devices.
- Allows one-tap checkout with Apple Pay via Stripe
- Sell simultaneously on multiple sites
- Promote your store on Facebook, Google, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- Access to Facebook Pixel
- Get unlimited bandwidth
- Include tax invoices
- GDPR compliance
Get your free account now and start selling for free.
9. Square Online – Best For Small eCommerce Business
Website Builder with Robust Digital Payment System
Square is renowned for its advanced and secure digital payment solution. But later joined the eCommerce industry and created a feature-rich website builder.
Combining all their powerful solutions in one platform, they sure are one competitor that’s hard to beat.
I’ve explored and tested its free website builder, and I must say, it contains lots of features that can help small business owners to sell online. It’s also an excellent platform for anyone new to online selling.
Square Online website builder has a similar user interface to Weebly. So, if you find Weebly easy to use, you’ll feel the same on this editing platform.
Their only difference is it includes an individual page section for each type of product you offer.
It also includes in-store order customization tools to help your customers set their orders and pickup times.
Upon signing up, a step-by-step guide is provided for your convenience.
- Step 1: Choose the product you want to sell.
- Step 2: Determine how you want to deliver your products to your customers – shipping, pickup, on-demand, or self-serve delivery.
- Step 3: Set up your payment methods – POS, mobile payment, virtual terminal, invoices, or online checkout.
- Step 4: You can also manage your team’s payroll, timecards, and access permissions.
Pros And Cons Of Square Online
|Suitable for one-person business to small, growing businesses||Require personal Social Security Number/ITIN to sign up.|
|Manage all aspects of your website and business in one organized dashboard.||Basic SEO features included|
|Plenty of free tools for online selling|
Square Online Pricing Plan
With the Square Online free plan, you’ll have the opportunity to use any of the following features:
- Equipped with SSL security certificates
- Sell unlimited products
- An excellent inventory management system that allows you to sync orders online and in-person automatically.
- Use order-status text alerts to inform customers about their orders’ pickup location/time and shipping carrier.
- Provide your customer with a curbside pickup option
- Create Facebook ads
- In-store order customization
- Create coupons or offer gift cards to reward customers
Start your free online store now by setting up your Square Online account.
10. Blogger – Best For Business Blogs
Online CMS Platform with Easy-to-Use Blog Editor
Blogger may not be your traditional website builder, but it’s proven effective for creating a business blog and small service site.
If you want proof, visit Renew Pilates Studio. It’s one of the businesses that use this blogging platform up to this date.
You can also check out Google’s blog if you prefer a simple and clean design.
Getting started in Blogger is easy. All you need is a Google account to access the platform.
Upon signing up, you will immediately be redirected to your dashboard.
The first step is to go to its theme center and choose which pre-built templates you want to use.
Unfortunately, Blogger doesn’t provide an option to create your blog from scratch. But don’t worry because all templates are customizable.
Once you’ve decided which template to use, click the apply button.
The blog editor is ideally suitable for beginners and anyone new to website creation. Inside the platform, you can easily add a background image and text colors, and font style.
It doesn’t have an auto-save function, so make sure to save every time you’ve made some changes.
Next, go back to your dashboard, and just above the theme, click the layout menu. From the name itself, this is where you can customize the layout and add other elements.
The good news for tech-savvy users, you can customize each template using HTML code.
Do this by clicking the Edit HTML option (located on the template’s drop-down menu), and you’ll be redirected to its coding section.
Pros And Cons Of Blogger
|A quick and simple way to create and publish a blog site||Only provides basic features|
|Earn money from advertisements by connecting them to AdSense||No real-time human support (help center, community, and video tutorials)|
Blogger Pricing Plan
Since this is Google-owned, it’s completely free, and no paid version is offered. Therefore, you can access everything.
- Stats page: Display the most important insights about your blog’s performance and most recent post activities.
- Comment page: Moderate each comment according to your preference.
- Search operators: Simplify the search process and organize the search result page.
- Reading list: Optimize your blog for all devices for easy reading.
- Setting page: Organize all controls in one secure place.
Blogger uses Google Cloud, so you can create as many web pages as you desire because there’s no storage limit.
Visit Blogger now and start creating your blog.
In today’s market, having a website truly helps a business stay visible and accessible to customers 24/7. So if I must choose one, I’ll pick Weebly as the best free website builder.
Its website editor is super easy to use and includes minimalistic to modern templates.
Expanding its functionalities is never a problem since it offers generous plugins that are mostly free. It also provides an automatic site backup to keep all important data safe.
But what I like the most is its all-around features.
This gives you more creative freedom in creating websites of all types.
Do you have a favorite? Feel free to share your experiences or thoughts in the comment section.