Read this BigCommerce vs. Magento comparison to better understand which eCommerce platform satisfies your business and customers’ demands.
BigCommerce and Magento are two of the big fishes in the eCommerce world. They provide an out-of-the-box builder interface that guarantees comfort in creating the online store. I’ve tested both of these platforms and finally determined which one is the best for my online business.
I understand each business has unique requirements. For this reason, I laid out BigCommerce and Magento key features, pricing rates, and other important information to help you make a smart decision.
Let’s get started.
- 1. BigCommerce vs. Magento At A Glance
- 2. Who Is BigCommerce Best For?
- 3. Who Is Magento Best For?
- 4. A Close Look At The Features Of BigCommerce and Magento
- 5. Key Features Of BigCommerce
- 6. Key Features Of Magento
- 7.BigCommerce vs. Magento – Pros And Cons
- 8. Where Do I Get The Most For My Money?
- 9. Conclusion – Which Is Better: BigCommerce or Magento?
- 10. BigCommerce vs. Magento – FAQ
1. BigCommerce vs. Magento At A Glance
BigCommerce and Magento may be the two sought-after eCommerce platforms in today’s market, but let’s find out which one has a better lead over the competition.
|Best Overall. eCommerce solution as a SaaS=based platform. Primarily cloud-based. Starts at $29.95/month.||Best for flexibility. Open-source, PHP-based platform store builder for easy modification of design themes.|
|Try BigCommerce||Try Magento|
2. Who Is BigCommerce Best For?
BigCommerce’s store builder contains tons of complex terminologies, making it ideal to use for tech savvies and small to mid-sized businesses with in-house developers. But its team managed to make it user-friendly as well for individuals with entry-level web design skills by creating the store builder with a clean editing interface. Handy keyboard shortcuts are also made available to make the designing and adding of products much faster and more convenient.
Is BigCommerce free? Unfortunately, no, they do not offer a freemium plan but they have a 15-day free trial period where you can explore and test its store builder to determine if it is the best platform for your business.
3. Who Is Magento Best For?
Magento is an eCommerce platform that is exclusive for skilled developers and professionals that have solid coding knowledge/experience. It is also most useful in creating large-scale eCommerce shops for all sizes of established B2C and B2B merchants.
Do customers prefer operating their eCommerce stores in Magento over BigCommerce? Yes, I can confidently say that Magento is the preferred eCommerce platform based on its popularity and the total number of online stores created through it worldwide.
4. A Close Look At The Features Of BigCommerce and Magento
Does BigCommerce provide more advanced features than Magento? This table summarizes both the eCommerce platforms’ key features for you to find out which one makes the cut:
|Point of Sale (POS) Integrations|
|Sales Channel Integrations|
|Built-in Abandoned Cart Saver|
|Get Started||Try BigCommerce||Try Magento|
5. Key Features Of BigCommerce
In this section, I’ll discuss all the incredible features of BigCommerce to help you make a stress-free decision.
#1 User-Friendly Page Builder
“Build, run, and grow a better online business that’s up and running in less time…”
BigCommerce is true to its word because it created its page builder with the drag-and-drop ability and an extensive collection of industry-specific and intuitive theme designs.
With this combination, ease your mind that you will build the online store that meets your business needs and can engage visitors on a large scale… eventually, converting them all into valuable shoppers.
#2 Abandoned Cart Saver
Abandoned cart saver is BigCommerce’s solution for recovering lost sales from abandoned carts to increase revenue.
This built-in feature is automatically triggered when a customer fails to complete their order. It works by sending the customer an automated email to remind them to complete their purchase.
The good thing about this feature is it is customizable. You can personalize the message (recommended) and add coupon codes to ensure you can entice the customer to come back and complete their order.
How long before BigCommerce can consider a cart abandoned? One hour of inactivity (after the product is initially added) is their minimum period. This may still change depending on your preference. You can choose from 1 to 23 hours or day.
BigCommerce allows you to have up to 3 emails active at the same time. You can also activate and edit the emails using the newest transaction email feature.
#3 Transactional Emails
Registration, feedback, welcome, and even a password change – transactional emails indeed play a vital role in the business’ success.
For this reason, BigCommerce created a one-stop area dedicated only to transactional emails. This new email marketing tool contains 13 transactional email templates that are exclusively designed according to their purpose. You can also edit the templates here to customize the message and enable/disable the ones that you don’t currently need.
The notable feature of the transactional email is its ability to test the email before going live. You can do this by going to the editing section of each template.
This template editor has a simple and straightforward design. You can edit the template either through its phrases or code section. After editing, go to the preview section or click the send test email button to see the overall design.
#4 Channel Manager
Another one-stop place that BigCommerce recently updated is the Channel Manager.
This update allows you to streamline your storefront and third-party channels, creating a better channel management experience. Let the work begin by clicking the “+ Add new” button.
Here, you will see all the available third-party channels that you can connect to your eCommerce store. Ease your mind that all the available external channels and applications are tested and approved by the BigCommerce certified team.
#5 Storefront Conversion Boosters
Converting visitors into paying customers requires a great marketing strategy.
BigCommerce simplifies it by equipping its store builder with tons of storefront conversion boosters. A few of the popular boosters included are:
- Coupon & Discounts – Entice visitors to purchase your products by offering them special discounts and coupons. BigCommerce has over 70+ native discounts and promotions to use which all don’t require scripting.
- Digital Wallets – This feature provides a more flexible way for customers to pay for their orders. As of today, BigCommerce can process over 65 payment gateway integrations (available out-of-the-box), 250 local payment methods, and can integrate with various digital and mobile wallets (Venmo, Apple Pay, and more).
- SEO Tools – Bringing more traffic into your store is made easier. BigCommerce SEO tools are designed to create SEO-friendly URLs and out-of-the-box Metadata and robots.txt. Properly connect it to various SEO tracking tools and eCommerce analytics (built-in) to monitor its performance and determine what sources get the highest traffic.
6. Key Features Of Magento
The Open-Source eCommerce platform is the first product introduced by Magento. As technology and people evolve, Magento Commerce arose – an innovation-driven platform that promises to provide superior shopping experiences.
Here’s the list of their amazing features:
#1 Page Builder
The structure and design of Magento Page Builder vary on the products you use – open-source and Commerce.
The open-source eCommerce platform doesn’t include a page builder. It is self-hosted and purely designed through PHP scripting. Not a coding expert? No worries, there are tons of open-source third-party page builders available on Magento Marketplace.
Most of these page builders are free, but there are also paid ones. They can cost as low as $40 up to $329. Magento Commerce is built with a modern and sophisticated page builder where it highlights drag-and-drop tools, content staging and preview, and more. It also updates each store page more quickly and even can integrate it with other, existing back-end systems.
#2 Built-In Plug-Ins
Accelerate your eCommerce store’s functions, visibility, sales, and security by taking advantage of all Magento’s built-in features.
Magento’s open-source platform may have limited built-in features, but it is proven effective in creating a better shopping experience. A few of the built-in features available are the following:
- Instant Purchase
- Mobile Optimized Shopping
- Catalog Management
- Integrated Checkout, Payment, and Shipping
- Site Search
Magento Commerce is the most recommended because it offers a total of 15 store features, 11 hosted cloud features, and 3 technical support features. This is indeed an all-in-one cloud solution that can optimize all Magento Commerce websites.
To give you an idea of what to expect, here are a few of the built-in features compatible with the Magento commerce:
- Advanced Marketing Tools
- Customer Loyalty Tools
- Fast Page Loading with Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Enhanced Security with Fastly WAF, and DDoS services
- Customer Success Manager
#3 Added Checkout Payment Methods
In June of 2020, Magento 2 platform was launched. One of the primary highlights of it is the added checkout payment options.
Thanks to this latest version, more secure options are made available – out-of-the-box integrations with Braintree, PayPal, and Authorize.net payment gateways. This is all implemented on all Magento platforms’ checkout options – one-page and guest checkout.
#4 Gift Registry
Gift registries skyrocketed its popularity because it takes out the burden of guesswork and avoids duplicates.
Magento dedicated a gift registry section to make it simpler to add to all Commerce sites. Your customers can soon start creating different gift registries for all occasions after you enable and properly set up this feature’s types, attributes, and search settings.
Once the gift registry goes live, your customer can send invitations to their family and friends so they can easily see it.
If the customer chose not to send invitations, other customers can easily access the registered gifts by searching the owner’s name, email, or gift registry ID. Also, as the gifts are getting sold, Magento is programmed to send updates to the owner regarding the item counts.
Gifting options are not limited to selling physical products. You can also offer virtual gift certificates, subscription services, streaming service membership, and more to maximize your revenue.
#5 Customer Accounts
The smoother the customer’s shopping experience is, the better sales you will get. Magento can make it happen as they offer a smart solution to create intelligent customer accounts.
Start managing the Magento Customer Accounts by tweaking the account setting. This section contains all the information you want to gather during customer registration – name, address, password, and so on. Upon completion, your customers can start creating their accounts from your storefront.
Passwords are made to be forgotten. Make sure to set up your eCommerce storefront with a reset password option. A good advantage of creating a customer account in Magento is that it also allows you to create a new account on the admin dashboard.
Start working on it now to provide a faster way for the customers to make a purchase, save wish lists, access previously purchased items for re-ordering, and other things that can help you sell more.
7.BigCommerce vs. Magento – Pros And Cons
BigCommerce and Magento have their fair share of high and low points. Here’s their respective list of pros and cons to better understand them:
|UX-friendly store builder doesn’t require extensive coding or hiring skilled developers||No available 1-Click upselling|
|Cloud-based eCommerce platform saves time and effort||Limited free themes available, including only 7|
|All pricing plans offer 0% additional transaction fee and penalties||Hundreds of industry-specific themes are only available at a cost, ranging from $50 to $500|
|From storefronts to third-party channels, create and manage it all using the updated version of Channel Manager|
|Offers abandoned cart saver to boost conversions and prevent lost sales|
Here are 8 key pros and cons of Magento that you should know about:
|Open-source eCommerce platform is free to use and download||Creating an online store on an open-source platform is time-consuming|
|Community support is composed of experienced developers ready to answer any questions||Requires ample knowledge of coding|
|Offer more freedom in customizing all aspects of theme designs and core code||No provided hosting and built-in add-ons (open-source)|
|Simpler third-party integrations|
|Provide more control over marketing and social promotions|
8. Where Do I Get The Most For My Money?
Getting the best eCommerce platform doesn’t have to be costly. I’ll share with you BigCommerce and Magento pricing plans, including the features included, to help you determine which works best for your online business.
BigCommerce Pricing Plans
BigCommerce offers three primary price plans that can be paid monthly or annually. Let’s take a closer look at the features included in each pricing plan.
All BigCommerce pricing plans include unlimited user accounts, storage (file and products), and bandwidth. They won’t also charge you additional transaction fees and penalties.
- Standard Plan ($29.95/mo.): Get this plan and expect to get a well-structured, responsive online store with one-page checkout, digital wallets, and robust analytics. You can also get more sales by connecting to the different sales channels. Other features it includes are promotion tools, real-time shipping quotes, sitewide HTTPS and dedicated SSL, shipper HQ shipping rules engine, up to $50,000 online sales per year allowed, and 24/7 tech support.
- Plus Plan ($79.95/mo.): The Plus plan is BigCommerce’s most popular option because it includes powerful marketing tools on top of the Standard plan features. It also has an abandoned cart saver and customer groups and segmentation. For online sales per year, this plan allows you to process up to $180,000.
- Pro Plan (299.95/mo.): For entrepreneurs that consistently handle large inventories, the Pro plan is the smart option to get. It provides all the Plus plan features with additional custom SSL, Google customer reviews, custom product filtering, and up to $400,000 online sales per year.
BigCommerce also offers an Enterprise Plan that has more flexible features. It includes all the Pro plan features with added custom pricing to provide B2B customers a wonderful B2C experience level, unlimited API calls to automatically sync data from any third-party systems to the BigCommerce platform, and custom online sales per year. Give their sales a call to get custom pricing.
Magento Pricing Plans
Being an open-source eCommerce platform, Magento is free to use. You just need to download its latest version and you’re ready to start. The only time you need to pay is when you add the following:
- Web development (only if you have no in-house developers)
- Web hosting to get your online store live
- Security and Maintenance patches
- Additional server capacity
- Bug fixes and software updates
- Licensing fees
- Add-on apps, extensions, or any integrations to third-party systems
Another version available is Magento Commerce.
The Magento Commerce plans are exclusively designed for a specific business size:
- Small Business (Custom Pricing): Cloud hosting, Rapid Deployment Packages, business intelligence and tools, and built-in global support are a few of the features included in this plan. Getting your online store up and running in 10 weeks is also achievable when you work with Magento’s certified partners.
- Mid-Market & Enterprise (Custom Pricing): Access to over a thousand extensions and themes, integrated cloud services, dedicated customer success contacts, business intelligence, and order management that are manageable via PC, PoS, and tablet are only a few of the many features you can enjoy when you get any of these plans.
Does Magento offer plans for established B2C and B2B merchandisers? Absolutely, yes, they have a plan called Magento Commerce Pro (also custom pricing) which is ideal for all sizes of business. A few of the features it includes are the following:
- Core Application Support
- Business Intelligence Pro
- B2B Functionality
- Single-tenant, dedicated infrastructure
- Larger dedicated staging environment
- Faster support response time
- 50 GB of testing
- DDoS protection and WAF
- Automated data backup
To get custom pricing, contact Magento’s sales representative. This gives you a great assurance that you will only pay for the features that your business needs and received.
9. Conclusion – Which Is Better: BigCommerce or Magento?
Getting an in-depth knowledge of BigCommerce and Magento, it becomes clear that both eCommerce platforms have their unique perks. It is up to you to get the best platform that suits best your business size, needs, and budget.
BigCommerce is the ultimate choice for businesses that have a small to mid-sized volume, don’t run a complex multi-store, and want to launch their site fast. Thanks to their set pricing plans, it becomes easy to budget the cost.
For entrepreneurs selling physical and virtual products on a mass scale, Magento is the go-to eCommerce platform. This platform allows you to build and run multiple stores in a single interface, support native product bundles, and groups, and customize endless template designs.
10. BigCommerce vs. Magento – FAQ
In this part of my BigCommerce vs. Magento comparison, I will discuss 4 of the frequently asked questions:
Can you customize all BigCommerce’s themes through coding?
Is a two-factor authentication extension available for all Magento eCommerce platforms?
Yes, adding this security extension is available on Magento Open Source and Commerce (only with version 2.4.X).
Does an abandoned cart affect the inventory level?
No, the number of stocks in your BigCommerce store will remain the same. It will only change when the customer settles the payment.
Is the Google Shopping ads channel bundle extension still available in Magento Commerce?
No, Magento announced in December 2020 that they will no longer be offering this extension. They have already removed it from their Magento Commerce platform’s core code (version 2.3.5 and 2.3.4-p1).