If you’re thinking of building your website but can’t make up your mind about what web hosting to go for, this guide is for you.
When I decided to build my website, I didn’t go with the first option I saw. I scoured the internet for the web hosting service that will prove to be a bang for my buck.
After thoroughly checking a huge selection, I’ve put together a narrowed-down list of the cheapest but dependable performance and features in the market.
- What Is The Best Cheap Web Hosting Software?
- 1. Bluehost – Top Pick
- 2. SiteGround – Most Versatile
- 3. Hostinger – Cheapest Entry Level Plan
- 4. DreamHost – Highly Trusted By Web Experts
- 5. HostGator – Pays You To Promote It
- 6. iPage – Best First Year Discount
- 7. InMotion – Most Well-Featured
- 8. A2 Hosting – Best Data Centers Around The World
What Is The Best Cheap Web Hosting Software?
If you’re in a hurry, check out my top 3 picks at a glance: Bluehost, SiteGround, and Hostinger.
|Best overall. Reliable and user-friendly web hosting platform. Starts at $8.99/month.||Most versatile. High-value security hosting platform for websites. Starts at $4.99/month.||Best value for money. Affordable and easy-to-use hosting platform. Starts at $1.39/month.|
|Try Bluehost||Try SiteGround||Try Hostinger|
Depending on the purpose of your website, you’ll need different storage capacities and features. Let’s dive right into the specifics and find the web hosting builder that fits like a glove for your needs.
1. Bluehost – Top Pick
Best Overall Web Hosting Service For WordPress Users [Starts at $3.95/mo]
Bluehost is one of the only 3 web hosting services endorsed by WordPress developers, hosting more than 2 million websites.
Granted, it’s not the cheapest on the list but its uptime performance (leading in the industry) is worth what you pay for it. It has blazing fast speed so visitors won’t lose patience waiting for a page to load thus minimizing bounce rates.
Moreover, Bluehost is user-friendly for the less tech-savvy, having a one-click WordPress installation together with easy controls in setting up basic customizations.
Not only that, but it also has a cPanel feature allowing web experts to add personalized features and functionalities to your website.
Lastly, its tech support is available 24/7 through email, phone, and online chat. FAQs, setup information, and online articles are also provided to answer the most common queries.
Pros And Cons Of Bluehost
|Value for money||Long contract to lock in a cheap plan|
|High server uptime rate||High renewal rate after the first term|
|Unmetered bandwidth||Additional fee for site migration|
|Free SSL with other integrated security features|
|Easy-to-use interface and control panel|
Bluehost Pricing Plan
Bluehost offers numerous pricing plans. Primarily it’s categorized into Shared Hosting, Online Stores, and Managed WordPress.
Once you check into each category, you’ll be provided with more well-defined pricing plans.
The Shared Hosting Pricing has 4 package options with either a 12-month lock-in period that starts at $5.95/mo.
Or a 36-month lock-in period that starts at the cheapest offer to date – $3.95.
Here are what each pricing package under Shared Hosting includes:
- BASIC: 1 website, 50 GB SSD storage, custom themes, drag and drop functionality, AI-driven templates, 1-year free domain, free CDN, and free SSL certificate.
- PLUS: Unlimited websites, Unlimited SSD storage, custom themes, drag and drop functionality, AI-driven templates, 1-year free domain, free CDN, free SSL certificate, and free Office 265 for 30 days.
- CHOICE PLUS: Unlimited websites, Unlimited SSD storage, custom themes, drag and drop functionality, AI-driven templates, 1-year free domain, free CDN, free SSL certificate, free Office 265 for 30 days, free domain privacy, and 1-year free automated backup.
- PRO: Unlimited websites, Unlimited SSD storage, custom themes, optimized CPU resources, drag and drop functionality, AI-driven templates, 1-year free domain, free CDN, free SSL certificate, free Office 365 for 30 days, free domain privacy, free automated backup, and free dedicated IP.
Now for the Online Stores pricing package, it only has 2 package options, but this time with 3 lock-in options.
First is a 1-month lock-in option starting at $29.95/mo.
The second is a 12-month lock-in option starting at $15.95/mo.
Lastly, a 36-month lock-in option starting at $12.95/mo.
Now here’s what you get for each package:
- STANDARD: online store (website+blog), unlimited products, website traffic analytics, one-click payment processing installation, manual order creation, discount codes, 1-year free CodeGuard Backup Basic, and free Office 365 for 30 days.
- PREMIUM: online store (website+blog), unlimited products, website traffic analytics, one-click payment processing installation, manual order creation, discount codes, 1-year free CodeGuard Backup Basic, free Office 365 for 30 days, online bookings and appointment scheduling, product customization, local and country tax management, and free domain privacy.
And finally for the Managed WordPress pricing package you get 3 package options with no lock-in choices.
- BUILD ($9.95/mo): 1 WordPress site, 20 GB web storage, 200+ Global Edge servers, free SSL, daily scheduled backups, malware detection and removal, domain privacy, and 30-day free Microsoft email trial.
- GROW ($14.95/mo): 1 WordPress site, 40 GB web storage, 200+ Global Edge servers, free SSL, daily scheduled backups, malware detection and removal, domain privacy, 30-day free Microsoft email trial, business review tools, Bluehost SEO tools, and 10 GB video compression.
- SCALE ($27.95/mo): 1 WordPress site, 80 GB web storage, 200+ Global Edge servers, free SSL, unlimited backups and restore, malware detection and removal, domain privacy, 30-day free Microsoft email trial, business review tools, Bluehost SEO tools, unlimited video compression, Paypal integration, and Elastic search.
The pricing plans can seem complex and overwhelming. For starters, the best bang for your buck is the $3.95 Basic plan, but with a 36-month lock-in. If the commitment is too long for you, try the Build plan for a month which will only cost you $9.95)
Get started with Bluehost by visiting their site.
2. SiteGround – Most Versatile
Excellent Hosting For Beginners And Small Companies [Starts at $4.99/mo]
SiteGround is the 2nd of the only 3 web hosting services recommended by WordPress developers.
It prides itself in making website building and management easy offering technical support using in-house built solutions and quick adoption of the latest and best technologies.
Added to that, it offers a fully managed maintenance service and automatic WordPress updates for website owner convenience.
Operated by Google Cloud, SiteGround positioned itself to be a technically superior web hosting service with the best and the fastest connected networks.
Security is one of its topmost priorities. Because of this, 300 custom firewall rules were added within the last year stopping 3rd-party vulnerabilities, and actively written security enhancements are applied.
Pros And Cons Of SiteGround
|High server uptime rate||Not the cheapest|
|Easy onboarding process||High renewal rates|
|Outstanding customer support and utilities|
SiteGround Pricing Plan
Like Bluehost too, SiteGround has plenty of pricing packages yet less in number than the former. It’s also less complex since the primary pricing categories comprise the same pricing plans with almost identical inclusions.
The only difference is that one is tailored for small and medium sites, another is for WordPress users, and the last is for WooCommerce eCommerce sites.
Here are what each pricing package includes:
- STARTUP ($4.99/mo): 1 website, 10 GB web space, unmetered traffic, free SSL and CDN, free email, daily backup, and unlimited databases.
- GROWBIG ($7.99): unlimited websites, 20 GB web space, unmetered traffic, free SSL and CDN, free email, daily backup, unlimited, database, on-demand backup copies, ultrafast PHP, and staging.
- GOGEEK ($14.99): unlimited websites, 40 GB web space, unmetered traffic, free SSL and CDN, free email, daily backup, unlimited, database, on-demand backup copies, ultrafast PHP, staging and GIT, the highest tier of resources, and priority support.
Register with a plan that suits your website purpose and expected website content storage needs.
Interested in SiteGround? Start by visiting their site.
3. Hostinger – Cheapest Entry Level Plan
Excellent Shared-Hosting Option [ Starts at $1.39/mo ]
Hostinger is the cheapest entry-level web hosting plan that doesn’t compromise uptime. Your website will be online 99.93% of the time.
It allows you to install WordPress with ease with its 1-click installation.
Powered by LiteSpeed, it ensures that your website will run:
- Fast: 43 ms average response time
- Secure: multiple-layer DDoS and customer web server rules for cyber-attack protection
- Reliable: predictive monitoring to prevent issues from occurring
Hostinger doesn’t run on the usual cPanel. Instead, they added a personal Hostinger-touch with the easy-to-set-up and beginner-friendly custom hPanel.
Pros And Cons Of Hostinger
|High uptime rate||High renewal rates|
|Fast loading speed||No SSH server access|
|Free site migration for the first-time customer|
|High-level shared plans with advanced security features|
|30-day money-back guarantee|
Hostinger Pricing Plan
Here are the subscription plans Hostinger offers:
- SINGLE ($1.39/mo): 1 website, 30 GB SSD storage, 100GB bandwidth, free SSL certificate, DNS management, and 24/7 support.
- PREMIUM ($2.59): 100 websites, 100 GB SSD storage, unlimited bandwidth, free SSL certificate, DNS management, 24/7 support, unlimited MySQL database, and free domain registration.
- BUSINESS ($3.99/mo): 100 websites, 200 GB SSD storage, unlimited bandwidth, free SSL certificate, DNS management, 24/7 support, unlimited MySQL database free domain registration, and daily backups.
The Premium plan offers worthwhile features (free domain registration, unlimited bandwidth, and databases). It’s not too limiting like the Single plan but not as costly as the Business plan.
Start with Hostinger by visiting their site.
4. DreamHost – Highly Trusted By Web Experts
Best In Renewal Fees [ Starts at $2.95/mo ]
Not only is DreamHost the 3rd of the only 3 web hosting services recommended by WordPress developers, but it’s also PCMag’s Editor Choice 5 years in a row.
It’s highly trusted and respected also because of its 20 years of experience in the industry.
What sets them apart from other hosting services is that it is employee-owned. Meaning, they make an extra commitment to cater unique needs of different users.
DreamHost is also committed to privacy and security having security features like auto-enabled sFTP, multi-factor authentication, strong anti-spam policies, and free WHOIS privacy.
It guarantees 100% uptime, your website will never go offline.
Lastly, it offers the longest money-back guarantee at 97 days.
Pros And Cons Of DreamHost
|Free WordPress migration||Additional fee for custom a email address|
|Easy-to-use control panel|
DreamHost Pricing Plan
DreamHost offers 3 main pricing categories: WordPress Basic, DreamPress, VPS WordPress. Each category has corresponding pricing plans.
The WordPress Basic plan has 2 pricing plans with 3 lock-in period options (monthly, 1-year, 3 years). The longer the lock-in, the cheaper the cost.
- WordPress STARTER: 1 website, free domain, unlimited traffic, free migration, free WordPress builder, and free SSL certificate.
- WordPress UNLIMITED: unlimited websites, free domain, unlimited traffic, free migration, free WordPress builder, free SSL certificate, and free email at your domain.
The latter will be best if you plan to do email marketing for your website.
The 2nd pricing category has 3 pricing plans and options of monthly or yearly subscription. The latter will of course be cheaper.
- DREAMPRESS: unlimited email, 30 GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, 1-click staging, pre-installed SSL certificate, daily backups, 24/7 support, free migration, and website builder.
- DREAMPRESS PLUS: unlimited email, 60 GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, 1-click staging, pre-installed SSL certificate, daily backups, 24/7 support, free migration and website builder, and unlimited CDN.
- DREAMPRESS PRO: unlimited email, 120 GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, 1-click staging, pre-installed SSL certificate, daily backups, 24/7 support, free migration and website builder, and unlimited CDN.
DreamHost offers monthly plans allowing you to opt out of long-term commitments. If you think a 1-year plan is too long, DreamHost is best for you.
Get started with Dreamhost by visiting their site.
5. HostGator – Pays You To Promote It
Earn More Being An Affiliate Of The Service [ Starts at $2.08/mo ]
HostGator is one of the most affordable web hosting on the list known for its speed, seamless integrations, and free domain names even for the cheapest hosting plan.
It prides itself on its 99.9% uptime guarantee and free site transfers.
HostGator is also less limiting than other options with its unlimited bandwidth and free SSL certificate feature.
Lastly, it made integrations easier with its one-click installations. So it’s great for beginners and solopreneurs.
Pros And Cons Of HostGator
|Consistently high uptime||High renewal rates|
|Super fast-response of the support team via phone or live chat||Security and backups are available for an additional cost|
|45 money-back guarantee|
HostGator Pricing Plan
HostGator has 5 main pricing categories: Shared Hosting, Website Builder, WordPress Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Hosting.
The Shared Hosting plan (cheapest) has 3 pricing plans:
- HATCHLING PLAN ($2.08/mo): 1 website, free cPanel website transfer, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate, and domain.
- BABY PLAN ($2.98/mo): unlimited website, free cPanel website transfer, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate, and domain.
- BUSINESS PLAN ($4.48/mo): unlimited website, free cPanel website transfer, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate and domain, free dedicated IP, and free SEO tools.
The Website Builder plan (drag, drop, and publish) also has 3 pricing plans:
- EXPRESS START ($3.83/mo): intelligent site builder, free domain and SSL certificate, 3-product online store.
- EXPRESS SITE ($5.99/mo): intelligent site builder, free domain and SSL certificate, 10-product online store, appointment booking, and priority support.
- EXPRESS STORE ($9.22/mo): intelligent site builder, free domain and SSL certificate, 10-product online store, appointment booking, priority support, no transaction fees.
The same goes for the WordPress Hosting plan (2.5x speed and beefed up security):
- STARTER ($5.95/mo): 1 site, 1 GB backups, free SSL certificate, and domain.
- STANDARD PLAN ($7.95/mo): 2 sites, 2 GB backups, free SSL certificate, and domain.
- BUSINESS PLAN ($9.95/mo): 3 sites, 3 GB backups, free SSL certificate, and domain.
The last 2 main pricing plans are on the pricier side starting at $19.95-$39.95 for the VPS hosting.
$89.98-$139.99 as the most expensive for the dedicated hosting.
It’s best to go for shared hosting when starting.
If you are interested in Hostgator, visit their site to learn more.
6. iPage – Best First Year Discount
Intuitive Site Builder For An Affordable Price [ Starts at $1.99/mo ]
iPage gets you online without breaking the bank.
It allows you to grow build, grow, and market your site with its core features:
- Easy WordPress installation: quick and secure way to get started online
- Unlimited email address: great for email marketing
- eCommerce functionality: if you want to sell goods
- Site analytics: to track performance and plan for scaling
- Unlimited domain: host as many sites as you like
- Search engine ad credits (best feature): $200 worth of ad credits for you
Pros And Cons Of iPage
|Host unlimited domains||The monthly renewal option is expensive|
|1-year free domain||No free site migration|
|Beginner-friendly onboarding||Limited data centers to the US|
|Massive first-year discount||Poor customer support|
iPage Pricing Plan
iPage’s main cheapest pricing plans are: Go Plan and WordPress Plan.
- GO PLAN ($1.99/mo but must be locked-in for 3 years): For a 2-year plan, the monthly cost goes up to $2.49, and the 1-year plan for $2.99. Any of the 3 lock-ins already gets you unlimited disk websites, storage, free 1-year domain registration, and free SSL certificate.
As for the WordPress plan, it’s divided into 2 sub-plans:
- WP STARTER ($3.75/mo): 1 website, free SSL certificate, 1-year free domain registration, unlimited storage and bandwidth, plus pre-installed themes, and plugins.
- WP ESSENTIAL ($6.95/mo): unlimited websites, free SSL certificate, 1-year free domain registration, unlimited storage and bandwidth, pre-installed themes and plugins, automatic malware removal, and SiteLock professional security.
If your website contains sensitive information, especially with transaction details, go for WP Essential to be safe. Get started with iPage by visiting their site.
7. InMotion – Most Well-Featured
Great Account Management Console [ Starts at $5.99/mo ]
InMotion used to have a cheap $2.49/month plan but currently, the cheapest is at $5.99 – the most expensive on this list.
Using its account management console lets you set up your website fast and easily.
Another good thing is it’s fast and reliable with 99.99% of uptime.
It offers premium safety and security providing free SSL certificates, supreme malware, and hack protection.
It’s second to DreamHost in terms of a money-back guarantee offering it at 90 days.
Lastly, it offers great support being available 24/7 via phone, email, Skype, or online chat.
Pros And Cons Of InMotion
|Comprehensive website builder||Expensive for a cheap web hosting service|
|Great security features|
|24/7 customer support|
|High uptime rate|
InMotion Pricing Plan
InMotion offers 4 pricing plans, the two falling into the affordable category.
- SHARED HOSTING ($5.99/mo): free website builder and cPanel, free domain and SSL certificate, unlimited bandwidth.
- WordPress HOSTING ($6.99/mo): free website builder, free domain and SSL certificate, free premium themes, and advanced caching.
For starters, the Shared Hosting plan can get your site up and running. Start with Inmotion by visiting their site.
8. A2 Hosting – Best Data Centers Around The World
Blazing Fast Hosting [ Starts at $2.99/mo ]
A2 Hosting is known for being beginner’s friendly with its award-winning cPanel and offering fast shared hosting speed (but some argue this claim).
It’s best asset is having data centers around the world, especially in Asia and Europe.
Its ultra-reliable with its 99.99% uptime commitment and developer-friendly being able to support the best software solutions like PHP, MySQL, and Python.
Pros And Cons Of A2 Hosting
|Data center availability around the world||Can only host 1 domain per hosting account|
|User-friendly cPanel||Lightning-fast loading speeds are questionable|
|High uptime rate||Poor live chat support|
A2 Hosting Pricing Plan
A2 Hosting offers 4 pricing plans, like InMotion, the two falling into the affordable category.
- SHARED HOSTING ($2.99/mo): it has to be locked in for 3 years though. 1-click website staging, easy cPanel navigation, easy site builder, free SSL certificate.
- VPS HOSTING ($4.99/mo): also has to be locked in for 3 years. Easy cPanel navigation, 20x faster turbo option, managed hardware and network, root access.
For A2 Hosting the best option would be the VPS Hosting plan given that it has more robust security features, protecting you and your website visitors. Start with A2 Hosting by proceeding to their site.
To wrap it all up, I’d say Bluehost is the best one that’s worth every penny because it’s feature-packed.
It has high server uptime ensuring you won’t go offline. It has integrated security features protecting all those who interact with your website.
And lastly, it’s beginner-friendly with its easy-to-use interface. You’ll be able to make your website up and running in no time without having to master coding.
I hope you find this comprehensive review helpful. For any questions and suggestions, we’d love for you to drop them in the comment section.