Have you tried ClickUp, and it ended up failing your expectations? If the answer is yes, then this ClickUp alternatives article is right for you.
As someone who starts a business from the ground up, I’ve used many project management tools before finding the right one. And just like with most users, I find ClickUp’s all-in-one suite impressive and efficient.
I understand that not everyone has the same preference; that’s why I’ve compiled 7+ top ClickUp alternatives available. Here, I’ll highlight each alternative’s best features, perks you’ll enjoy, pricing rates, and more.
Let’s get this comparison rolling.
1. ClickUp Alternative: Hive
Modern Project Management Software For Fast-Paced Teams [$12 a month]
Hive is one of the project management software that has a close similarity with ClickUp.
But of course, its team of experts made sure to get a lead over the competition. They deliver it by designing all its features for ease of use and its workspace for a unique user experience.
Let’s start with the project management features.
The good news is that you can create as many tasks and projects as you want. To maintain an organized and clean look, you can set a layout view for each.
It also includes forms if your team needs to collect data (orders, requests, contact info, or submitting issues).
Are you handling repetitive tasks daily? Create an action to ensure you will never forget to do it.
You can easily do so by clicking the task card and then adding the date; below the calendar section, select ‘set recurring’.
Successfully setting it will guarantee that a recurring task will always appear on your list as long as you need it.
For better team collaboration, Hive added the following tools:
- Card priority levels (for urgent tasks)
- Project access
Hive is renowned for simplifying complex processes. They deliver this by equipping the workspace with tons of automation features.
The most straightforward tool included is the trigger.
This will allow you to create a series of buttons where each holds a specific purpose. Whether you want to apply an action template or add a label, you can now do it with a single click.
You can also use risk, an AI-powered tracker that continuously analyzes project risks.
Once it detects a risk, it will alert you. Don’t forget to create a progress status, so you can quickly determine its importance.
Hive Pricing Plan
Hive created two paid subscription plans to ensure it will meet your team’s requirements:
- Base package ($12/user/mo.): This plan gives you access to Hive’s standard features such as flexible project layouts, meeting notes, automated workflows, and more. If you want to add more advanced features, you need to purchase them as add-ons.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): Standard and advanced features, including add-ons, you can get all the functions you need for your project and team with this plan. Contact the sales team to get a custom quote or request a demo.
Take advantage of its 14-day free trial to get a firsthand experience, no credit card information is required to submit.
Hive vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Teams of all sizes, project managers, SMBs, agencies, & enterprises||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $12/month/member||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Six available project and task layouts with a detailed portfolio & summary view||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Mobile app is lackluster and Hive chat only features basic functions||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Hive||Try ClickUp|
2. ClickUp Alternative: Basecamp
Efficient Project Management Software For Remote Working Setup [Free | $99 a month]
Getting the right project management tool can help a business transition to remote work. And this is precisely how Basecamp designed its workspace.
The workspace features a one-column design where the top section holds the main navigation bar:
- Ping is the feature that allows you to send a private message to any member of your team.
- If you want to keep posted on the project’s latest happenings, you can click the Hey! menu.
- The activity menu shows all the activities that have happened since the project was created.
- Choose my stuff menu if you want to see all your schedule, assignments, and other activities you’re about to do.
It also includes the focus mode to lessen the distraction. You can use this to quickly enable and disable all notifications (email, browser, and more).
If you sign up for a personal account, your workspace will only display your project list. While for the business account, it will be divided into three rows.
- First row: Company logo and announcement board
- Second row: Invite button and list of team members added
- Third row: Project list and ‘create new’ button
Basecamp may not have the efficient multiple view style option for the projects and tasks, but you can still organize it by creating a to-do list.
Let your team collaborate on all the work you’ve listed on the list by assigning them specific items. You can also set deadlines and open them for brainstorming.
If your team members raised one question repeatedly, you could create automatic check-in questions.
Use the schedule feature to save and share all the important events.
Basecamp Pricing Plan
Basecamp also offers two simple monthly subscription plans. They also name each plan based on its intended users:
- Basecamp Personal (Free): Though intended for personal and light use, this plan is also equipped with 1 GB storage space, creates and manages 3 projects, and adds 20 users to satisfy the needs of freelancers and students.
- Basecamp Business ($99/mo.): The ultimate plan for managing every group under your company. It allows you to handle unlimited projects, add unlimited users and clients, and even provide clients advanced access.
If you’re not a fan of a month-to-month commitment, you can pay the entire year upfront and enjoy a 15% discount.
Are you an educator or part of a non-profit entity? If the answer is yes, you can apply for a free plan or a discount.
Basecamp vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Personal projects, small team business projects, freelancers, and educators||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $99/month (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Real-time communication, automatic check-ins, and notification management||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Web storage capacity is limited to 500 GB, and limited project tracking tools||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Basecamp||Try ClickUp|
3. ClickUp Alternative: Notion
Project Management Software With a Clean, All-In-One Workspace [Free | $4 a month]
Notion first rises to fame as a remarkable note-taking app.
Many find its writing tool easy to use, mainly because it has a similar user interface to the standard word processor. You can start creating any type of content by adding blocks.
The basic blocks you can add are text, database, inline, media, and embeds. However, if you want to add complex content such as block equations and breadcrumbs, you need to select the advanced blocks.
Don’t worry, both blocks are available to you.
Don’t want to create content from scratch?
You don’t have to because there are several templates you can choose from.
After years of developing this writing tool, you can now create rich documents, databases, team wikis, and more. You can also add bookmarks, videos and allow coding.
Your notes are often made for personal use.
However, Notion now gives you an option to share it with your team for collaboration. Add the collaborators you want to see the page, and you can start to do the following:
- Use @ to mention a specific collaborator
- Tag them with custom keywords
- Set due dates
- Collaborative editing
Don’t get me wrong, Notion is more than just a note-taking app.
You can plan your work and create a visual presentation to keep all members aligned with the process and workflow.
Here are a few of the elements you can add to customize your project and tasks better:
- Add a filter to track tasks easily
- Add databases to monitor sub-tasks
- Use the right database view to filter specific information (table, board, calendar, etc.)
Notion promises a project management platform that empowers teams of all types. They deliver this by adding industry-specific templates.
Notion Pricing Plan
Notion created four subscription plans which you can pay either in a monthly or annual billing period.
- Personal (Free): This plan is ideal for anyone who wants to organize every aspect of their life, in general. It will provide you unlimited pages and blocks to create, sync across devices, access the API beta version, and share it with 5 guests.
- Personal Pro ($4/mo.): If you have tons of files to upload and share with others, you can get this plan. You can upload unlimited files, add unlimited guests, and it gives you version history (30 days).
- Team ($8/member/mo.): Work with your colleague with less distraction by availing of this plan. You’ll get a collaborative workspace completed with admin tools, advanced permissions, and more.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): Enjoy using all Notion’s features, including admin and security controls, support from a dedicated manager, create custom contracts and invoicing, and more. You can also get the first glimpse of the newest features offered.
The Team subscription plan offers a free trial. Unlike other project management tools, this free trial will end as soon as you reach its 1,000-block limit.
Notion vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Startup, enterprises, professionals, and teams with 20 to 2,000 members||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $4/month (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Notes taking, project management, and drag-and-drop workspace||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Only process payments through Stripe and table creation requires learning||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Notion||Try ClickUp|
4. ClickUp Alternative: Wrike
Cloud-Based Project Management Software For Cross-Functional Teams & Projects [Free | $9.80 a month]
If you’re looking for a more brilliant way to handle your project or business workload, then Wrike is right for you.
It provides you with a customizable dashboard where you can manage and track all your project’s activities. Setting it up and creating a uniquely personal experience is made easy with its simple drag-and-drop function.
They also add an AI Recommended tasks widget on your home page to ensure you’ll immediately attend to any tasks that require your attention.
Aside from the dashboard, you can customize various elements based on your team’s needs and priorities, like workflows and request forms.
Wrike also simplifies the decision-making process by giving you and your team a 360° visibility of the project. The project management reporting it will provide you includes the following:
- Real-time project progress
- Team performance (productivity)
- Portfolio health
- Potential roadblocks
- Digital performance
You have the option to create all these reports from scratch or using one of the pre-built templates.
Of course, Wrike will never be completed without a reliable team collaboration tool. You won’t get disappointed because they have centralized communication tools to offer:
- Custom-field request forms for collecting suggestions, sharing updates, and more
- Gantt charts to track progress and easily divide workloads
- Allows discussion in tasks
- Visual proofing to simplify the feedback process
- Automated approval systems to improve the approval process
Wrike Pricing Plan
Wrike promises to give every team the right plan that satisfies their unique needs. They deliver it exactly by creating seven subscription plans.
The first three subscription plans are dedicated to all types of teams.
- Free: Get your project started with a centralized task management platform compatible with the web, desktop, and mobile. You can add unlimited users, collaborators (external and internal), account-wide work schedules, and more.
- Professional ($9.80/mo./member): This plan allows you to add 5 to 200 users, work in shareable dashboards, add interactive Gantt charts, and a 1 to 2 GB storage limit per user.
- Business ($24.80/mo./member): This plan provides a branded workspace, real-time reports, report templates, time tracking and timesheets, file and video proofing (30+ file formats), and more.
The remaining four subscription plans are dedicated to large teams with specific needs and functions.
- Enterprise: Ideal for larger teams that need enterprise-grade data privacy and security.
- Pinnacle: Designed for teams that handle complex work.
- Wrike for Marketing Teams: Allow marketing and creative teams to create unique and high-quality brand experiences for their clients.
- Wrike for Professional Services Teams: Include all tools and features to maximize your team’s productivity while consistently growing your revenue and client satisfaction.
All these subscription plans come with a 14-day free trial. If you wish to continue the upgrade, contact the Wrike sales team.
Wrike vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Marketing & creative teams, service providers, agencies, and remote workers||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $9.80/month/member (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Real-time 360° visibility for projects and custom automated workflows||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Not suitable for beginners & paid subscription plans has a confusing structure||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Wrike||Try ClickUp|
5. ClickUp Alternative: Jira
Project Management Software For Agile Teams [Free | $7 a month]
Jira is renowned as the best project management platform for software development.
You can create clean and distraction-free scrum boards to manage all complex projects. It’s highly customizable to display the project’s latest progress clearly.
Get real-time insights by adding any of these reports:
- Sprint report: Help you identify excessive scope creep and overcommitment.
- Burndown chart: Manage and track progress so you can respond to it accordingly.
- Release burndown: Ideal for tracking the project’s progress and determining whether it’s following the original projected schedule.
- Velocity chart: Best for predicting the amount of work your team can feasibly commit to in the future.
If you’re aiming for full transparency and optimized workflows, the Kanban board is the best one to create.
Properly create this board, and you can quickly detect bottlenecks, all the work in progress, and configure workflows as simply as possible.
You can also create custom reports such as cumulative flow diagrams and control charts.
Jira may specialize as a project management tool for software teams, but it doesn’t mean it’s limited to that function.
Its team of experts also created two other function-centric management solutions:
- Work Management is designed for business teams (marketing, HR, finance). It provides you with four project view styles to quickly track progress and a drag-and-drop form builder to get the information you need.
- Service Management is designed for IT and ops teams (free for up to 3 agents). It gives you access to ITSM features, 2 GB storage space, and accommodates unlimited customers.
Jira Pricing Plan
Since Jira both offer cloud and data center options, they created two different pricing structures.
If you want to host in the cloud, you can choose from its four subscription plans.
- Free: This plan allows you to set up one site, apply automation on a single project, create basic roadmaps, perform basic dependency management, and more.
- Standard ($7/mo./member): This plan has a 20,000-user limit and gives you more control by assigning project roles and advanced permissions to each member.
- Premium ($14/mo./member): This plan is suitable for teams handling multiple projects and in need of creating advanced roadmaps and dependency management. You can also enjoy unlimited storage capacity and a 99.9% guaranteed uptime SLA.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): If you need stricter security and collaboration without limitations, this is the right plan to get.
All subscription plans, except Enterprise, are payable in monthly and annual billing cycles.
Do you prefer the data center option? If the answer is yes, visit the Jira website now to know your options.
Jira vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Small businesses, software devs, business, ops, and sales teams||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $7/month/member (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Thousands of options for apps & integrations with complete agile reporting||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Jira Mobile app needs improvement and the default file size limit is too small (10 MB)||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Jira Software||Try ClickUp|
6. ClickUp Alternative: nTask
Affordable Project Management Software [Free | $2.99 a month]
From planning to execution, nTask can support your project’s needs by providing a clean, centralized platform.
You can start the planning process by defining your project’s needs:
- Work Capacity
- Billing method and currency to use or accept
- Resource allocation
Using its team chat tool, you can easily brainstorm with your team members, share updates, send important files, and more.
Once the planning is done, you can strategize on how your team will deliver each task.
You can set time estimations (start and end dates), create to-do lists, and assign each task to the right members.
Track all progress with ease.
nTask offer tons of tracking tools like:
- Progress Meter
- Time Tracking
- Set Status & Give Priority
- Categories, Labels, and Filters
There are more tools that this project management software can offer, and recently, it launched another great feature – online risk management.
This feature allows you to assess, handle, and document the identified risks properly. It comes with a smart search, filters, and custom categorization for quick identification of status levels.
It’s recommended to create an excellent risk mitigation plan to prevent them from happening in the future.
nTask Pricing Plan
nTask offers four per-user subscription plans, payable in monthly and annual billing options.
- Basic (Free): Get 100 MB storage space, add five members per team, set meetings, create unlimited workspaces and tasks, customize timesheets, and issue tracking.
- Premium ($2.99/mo./user): This plan provides you 5 GB of storage space, applies custom filters, and creates projects, Gantt, Kanban boards, and bulk actions. It includes a 14-day free trial.
- Business ($7.99/mo./user): Here, you’ll get 10 GB storage space, save custom filters, perform risk management, access to custom roles and permissions, Kanban board templates, and custom status. Also, offer a 14-day free trial.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): Get all standard and advanced features available with additional custom onboarding, dedicated account manager, and dedicated cloud.
nTask also offers a pricing calculator to know the exact cost for specific numbers of team members.
nTask vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Freelancers, SMEs, startups, & large corporations, and remote teams||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $2.99/month/member (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Simple project planning, unlimited Kanban boards to create, and budget tracking||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Difficult to setup & no refund offer||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try nTask||Try ClickUp|
7. ClickUp Alternative: Monday.com
Customizable Project Management Software For Basic & Complex Projects [Free | $8 a month]
Monday.com provides you with one platform to handle any projects on hand.
It starts with the dashboard, where you can organize and manage all tasks by creating different boards. Customizing each board with the right view style is recommended to quickly get a bird’s eye view of the progress.
A few of the popular view styles are listed as follows:
- Files view: See all files uploaded to your board at a glance.
- Timeline view: Display all the dates and timelines of the ongoing projects.
- Gantt view: Get an overview of your project and its sub-tasks resources, milestones, dependencies, and more.
- Chart view: Create a pie, bar, or line chart to present all data insights.
- Kanban view: Present each stage of the process.
Are you looking for more?
Then, you may find forms, workload, maps, and calendar views the best fit for your needs.
You can also add automation to each task to better simplify the processes and eliminate the redundancy of tasks.
If your team needs more functionalities, you can always integrate your favorite apps.
To complete the package, a team communication tool is provided. A chat icon is placed next to the task’s name; click it to add a new conversation or reply to an existing message.
Monday.com isn’t limited to project management solutions.
You can also use it to create inventory tracking, remote work, and other business operation workflows.
Monday.com Pricing Plan
Start your journey with Monday.com by purchasing one of its subscription plans:
- Individual (Free): This plan gives you unlimited boards to create with over 200 templates and 20 column types to choose from. You can also work with up to two members and have full access to iOS and Android apps.
- Basic ($8 seat/mo.): On top of the Individual plan, you’re also allowed to provide unlimited users with read-only access, unlimited items to add, 5 GB file storage space, and create a dashboard based on 1 specific board.
- Standard ($10 seat/mo.): This plan provides you 3 additional project view styles, automation (250 actions/month), integrations (250 actions/month), and provide guest access. You can also create a dashboard that combines 5 boards.
- Pro ($16 seat/mo.): Better streamline complex workflows by creating private boards, add time tracking tools, automations (25,000 actions/month), integrations (25,000 actions/month), formula column, and more.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): For enterprise level of support, security, automation, analytics, and more, this is the ultimate plan to get. Unlike other subscription plans, this plan requires you to contact the sales team to get a personalized quote based on your business needs.
Are you interested in joining Monday.com?
Visit its pricing web page now and see the complete features included for each subscription plan.
Monday.com vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: SMBs, educational institutions, profit & non-profit entities, and remote work teams||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $8/month/seat|
(free plan available)
|Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Easy-to-use dashboard, multiple pages on a single platform, and smart project view||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: Limited tracking of the activity log and certain functions only available at higher tier plans||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Monday.com||Try ClickUp|
8. ClickUp Alternative: Asana
Flexible, Team-Based Project Management Software [Free | $10.99 a month]
Flexibility is the competitive advantage of Asana. They created excellent features that work best for all kinds of teams and professionals.
The to-do list, under My Task, is one of the basic yet most useful features.
This feature allows you to organize all tasks assigned to you. It’s equipped with filters (placed at the top right corner of My Tasks) to sort tasks by:
- Due date
- Project name
People have different learning curves.
Asana can help you introduce your team to the platform through their team conventions.
This is an effective method to make your team understand how you want to use the platform. You can set up conventions for the following:
- Tasks: Show how to create, name, and update a task. Also, discuss how to use and assign a subtask.
- Project: All important details to include when creating a project – assignee, start and due dates, project rules, milestones, and more.
- Email: Use Asana team conversation instead of email.
As a project management software, you can effectively track progress and updates in real-time. You can even run reports to have an overview of your timeline, detect potential issues, and more.
To ensure your team is always right on schedule, you can plot goals and prioritize tasks according to the set goals.
Do you want to improve your team’s productivity?
You can easily do so by using templates and adding automation to repetitive manual tasks.
Asana Pricing Plan
Asana offers four tiers of subscription plans which you can pay on a monthly or annual billing cycle.
- Basic ($0/mo.): Get this plan, and you’ll receive unlimited tasks, projects, messages, activity log, file storage (100 MB size per file). You can also integrate time tracking apps and other apps of your choice.
- Premium ($10.99/mo.): On top of the basic features, you can create unlimited dashboards, view boards in timeline style, receive reports across unlimited projects, and invite unlimited free guests.
- Business ($24.99/mo.): Create portfolios, goals, and workload with ease on this plan. You can also get access to custom rules builder, approvals, proofing, and advanced integrations.
- Enterprise (custom pricing): If your project requires more robust control, security, and support, this plan is the recommended choice.
Get to know more about the exact features you’ll get on the Enterprise plan by contacting Asana’s sales support team.
Asana vs. ClickUp At A Glance
|Best for: Project managers, marketing & creative team, sales team, and operations teams||Best for: Small & mid-sized teams of all types & industries, students, and individuals|
|Pricing: Starts at $10.99/month/member|
(free plan available)
|Pricing: Starts at $5/month/member (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Team-specific productivity tools, note taking-apps, and team sharing tools||Best feature: Autosave function, modern-designed workspace interface, plus custom tools|
|Cons: No refund policy, phone support, and built-in time tracking tool||Cons: Require moderate learning curve and reports provide basic and limited data|
|Try Asana||Try ClickUp|
One app to replace them all is what ClickUp promises to its consumer. After getting to know its top alternatives, I have to say, Monday.com is the best project management software for most teams and projects.
They both have a free-forever plan, but Monday.com offers a much more generous package.
Aside from the standard features, you can also embed documents, create a shared whiteboard collaboration, and communicate with your team using the update section.
Do you want more functionalities?
It’s made simple because it offers more app integrations.
When it comes to ease of use, Monday.com is beginner-friendly. Its dashboard has a clean and intuitive design; therefore, you won’t be having difficulty navigating and using it.
Did you pick your favorite project management software? If the answer is yes, share it in the comment section.