On the lookout for the best donor management software? You’re on the right page.
Spreadsheets are becoming more outdated with the evolving demands of fundraising events. Its functionalities are too limited to manage and track everything in one place.
I’ve spearheaded donor events for quite some time now. I’ve learned that working with reliable software makes everything easier and more transparent.
Even better if it’s a free software so you can maximize the allocation of all the funds that come in. I’ve compiled 7+ of the ones I’ve utilized in the past along with their key features, pros and cons, etc.
- What Is The Best Donor Management Software?
- 1. Bloomerang – Top Pick
- 2. Little Green Light – Powerful & Flexible
- 3. Aplos – Best For Communication
- 4. Raklet – Best For Membership Growth
- 5. Snowball – Most User-Friendly
- 6. Wild Apricot – Easiest To Navigate
- 7. Auctria – Most Intuitive Dashboard
- 8. Funraise – Best For Growing Nonprofits
What Is The Best Donor Management Software?
If you’re in a hurry, check out my top 3 picks at a glance: Bloomerang, Little Green Light, and Aplos.
|Best overall. Interactive donor management platform that provides customizable features. Starts at $19/month.||Feature-rich. Donor management software with user profile creation. Starts at $39/month.||Easy to use. Features automated donation recording tools and donor secure portals. Starts at $29.50/month.|
|Try Bloomerang||Try Little Green Light||Try Aplos|
Need more details to make a decision? Here are the full detailed reviews on each platform.
1. Bloomerang – Top Pick
Best Donor Management Software For Retention [Free Plan | $19/mo]
Bloomerang is one of the donor management and fundraising software options that can manage:
You can create customizable donor forms that you can embed in the website. Records will automatically be made from filled-up forms.
There’s also an email marketing feature where you can schedule emails for appeals and acknowledgments for the stakeholders.
With it is a constituent timeline to review donor communication history and visually represent any interactions with an individual or another organization.
To manage everything effectively, an interactive dashboard is provided to:
- Review donor retention rates
- View suggestions for improvement
- View tasks and campaign progress
- Look through weekly, monthly, and yearly donations
By far the best feature I saw with Bloomerang is its engagement meter where the constituents’ engagements are gauged based on historical interaction with the organization.
It also comes with a generosity score to identify top prospects.
Moreover, included is the feature for social listening where the social media presence of your organization is monitored to identify people talking about the organization or potential donors.
When it comes to transparency, Bloomerang also has a tool for that.
It comes with smart reports, and a built-in intuitive reporting function to highlight important information for the stakeholders.
Overall, Bloomerang can:
- Draw in potential donors
- Track donor engagement and retention
- Nurture donors through email marketing
- Generating reports for the campaign’s transparency
To save time and cost further, use Zapier to connect with Mailchimp’s marketing automation.
Almost every activity needed to make fundraising campaigns and events work, be efficient, and be successful can be done with this donor management software.
Pros And Cons Of Bloomerang
|Quick visuals for tracking donors||Poor styling for form defaults|
|Automatic reporting||Only integrates with Twitter|
|User-friendly||No merge feature for duplicate profiles|
|Seamless donation page integration to website|
|Quick customer support|
Bloomerang Pricing Plan
Bloomerang has 3 pricing groups: Small, Medium, and Large Shops. We will highlight the Small Shop pricing group here since it’s where the free version belongs.
Though each plan has different inclusions, there are standard functionalities available for each plan. They are:
- Unlimited users
- Free email/chat supports
- Free access to Bloomerang Academy
- Donor engagement scoring and wealth screening
Now here are the four plans under the Small Shop pricing group.
- Lite (Free): The Lite plan allows you to create up to 250 records, and manage up to $100k in fundraising revenue but 0GB storage for file attachments.
- Grow ($19/mo): The Grow plan allows you to create up to 500 records, manage up to $250k in fundraising revenue, a 2 GB file attachment storage, email marketing, sustainability scorecard, and more.
- Grow+ ($59/mo): The Grow+ plan gets you all the features in the Grow plan and lets you create up to 750 records.
- Grow+TG ($79/mo): The Grow+TG plan has the same inclusions as the Grow+ plan plus a nightly address verification and deceased suppression updates.
For those just starting, you can always start with the Lite plan and scale once you need to create more records for more donors. Visit their site to learn more.
2. Little Green Light – Powerful & Flexible
Top Free Donor Management Software For Small & Mid-Sized Donor Initiatives [Free Trial | $39/mo]
Little Green Light offers the right balance of power and flexibility whether for individual users or teams.
Its functionality is divided into three main groups:
- Productivity tools
- Reports and analytics
- Relationship management
For relationship management, this donor management software solution gets you one-page profiles complete with all the constituent details you’ll need.
It features membership management where you can easily supervise active and lapsed members together with their renewal dates and levels.
This tool not only manages donors but volunteers as well so in the relationship management section you’ll also get features for:
- Managing calls and meeting.
- Organizing and collaborating tasks.
- Handling volunteer records and hour commitments.
For its productivity functionality, this tool lets you create personalized receipts, thank you’s, and reminders for online donations received.
With it are automatic database updates and integrations with prospecting and accounting tools.
You also get customizable forms you can use for RSVPs, volunteer signups, and more.
Lastly, for the reports and analytics functionality, you’ll get tracking for:
You also get to create custom reports and schedule sending them via email to stakeholders involved.
Pros And Cons Of Little Green Light
|Flexible database||Tricky to pull reports|
|Seamless app integration to manage your donor data|
(Mailchimp, PayPal, etc.)
|Poor grant tracking|
|Includes volunteer management tools|
|Great customer support|
|Powerful but not overwhelming for small and mid-sized|
Little Green Light Pricing Plan
Little Green Light allows you to use the software for free but for 30 days only. After that, you have to subscribe to any of the paid plans.
Each plan includes all the functionalities. The only difference is the number of constituents you can add to the donor database.
By the way, the plans don’t have their names. Only the cost and record limit are provided.
- $39/mo: This plan gets you to create and save up to 2,500 constituents.
- $49/mo: The second plan allows you to make and save 5,000 constituents.
- $59/mo: This plan lets you create and save up to 10,000 constituents.
- $69/mo: The last plan gets you to create and save up to 20,000 constituents.
Take advantage of the free trial version first to get a feel of the tools it comes with before moving on to a pricing plan that will suit the volume of constituents you are expecting.
3. Aplos – Best For Communication
Best Donor Management For Churches [Free Trial | $29.50/mo]
With Aplos, you can :
- Track donations
- Communicate quickly
- Do smarter online fundraisings
- Build donor relationships
For donation tracking, this software provider automatically records donations in the bookkeeping tool and is tracked by donor and purpose. Email receipts are also automatically sent.
With it, you’d also be able to prepare and send monthly, quarterly, and annual statements quickly.
It also features pledge tracking where reports are generated to follow up on outstanding commitments.
Aplos also allows you to communicate faster with its built-in mail-merge emails, customizable templates, and suggested prompts for donor emails based on their recent activity or important dates to build deeper relationships and increase retention rates.
For smarter fundraisings, this software allows you to create unlimited donation forms that include functionality for donors to set recurring donations.
Donors will get access to a secure portal to check their activity, donations, and manage recurring contributions. You can also provide existing and new donors the option to cover the necessary processing fee.
Lastly, with the fundraising dashboard, you can generate financial health reports that can be emailed to stakeholders.
Pros And Cons Of Aplos
|Great monthly reports||Limited functionality for analytical reports|
|Straightforward layout||Glitchy bank integrations|
|Responsive customer service||Buggy at times|
|Quick report generation|
|Customize data generation|
Aplos Pricing Plan
Aplos provides you with a 15-day free trial to test out the tools. After that, you have to choose from any of the three paid plans.
- Aplos Lite ($29.50/mo): This plan gets you access to funding accounting, donation tracking, online giving forms, financial and giving reports, event registration, and more.
- Aplos Core ($39.50/mo): The Aplos Core plan gets you budgeting functionality, accounts payable and receivable, recurring transactions, pledge tracking, partner integrations, and more.
- Aplos Core + Advanced Accounting (Request a demo to get pricing): This third plan gets you everything in the Aplos Core plan plus accounting features like budgeting by fund, project and department budgeting reporting, fixed asset tracking, income, and expenses allocation, and more.
It’s best to maximize the free trial first to see if the software has the functionality you need for your fundraising dynamics. Visit their site to get started.
4. Raklet – Best For Membership Growth
Free Donor Management Software With SMS Functionality & Mobile App [Free Plan | $29.50/mo]
Raklet is mainly a platform to grow communities and help them thrive. Donor management is one part of the solution it provides.
It is equipped with a set of fundraising tools that can help you run effortless campaigns and maximize the donations received.
It has a built-in online payment option to receive donations virtually
You can also organize events using this software. It has functionalities to:
- Collect payments (streamline the entire payment processing)
- Track member attendance
- Create different ticket types
With it are features to keep your supporters updated. You can send them an email or an SMS when a new event comes up.
You can also use the email features to drive in more donors and send our regular newsletters.
Since it’s also developed as CRM software, you can manage and store donor profiles and information on the database. You can also import or export data from other sources.
You can create customizable member profiles with it and use filters to organize groups.
Lastly, it has a mobile app so you can get things done on the go.
Pros And Cons Of Raklet
|Creates events||Needs more payment options|
|Digital membership cards (perks include managing and updating of fundraising page anytime)||Could use a separate section for newsletter subscriptions|
|SMS communication functionality|
|Great customer support|
Raklet Pricing Plan
Raklet has four subscription plans, the first one is free.
- Free: The free plan allows you to manage 50 contacts, add 1 custom field, allow for 1 admin, and is equipped with a 0.25 GB storage capacity.
- Essentials ($49/mo): The Essentials plan allows you to manage 1000 contacts, create 5 custom fields, enable 1 admin, 1 email sender name, and 0.5 GB storage.
- Professional ($99/mo): The Professional plan lets you manage 2000 contacts, create 10 custom fields, allows for 3 admins, 2 email sender names, 1 GB storage, access to digital membership cards, multiple bank accounts, and more.
- Premium ($224/mo): This plan lets you manage 5000 contacts, create 20 custom fields, allow for 5 admins, 5 email sender names, and 4 GB storage.
The Free plan is too limited when it comes to record-keeping but can be enough for those that don’t need to handle large amounts of information.
It’s a good place to start but the best plan, later on, would be the Professional plan since it has the best storage capacity and offers a wider range of donation options. Interested? Visit their site to learn more.
5. Snowball – Most User-Friendly
Best Free Donor Management For Fundraising Auctions [Free Plan | $549/yr]
When it comes to having the best option for easy donations, Snowball gets you covered.
Its most exceptional feature is Text-to-Give fundraising functionality. Where campaigns can be sent directly to the donors’ mobile phones, and they can make donations right there and then.
This all-in-one fundraising platform also has functionalities to manage online auction fundraising events.
It allows for an easy auction setup. Add photos, descriptions, bid increments, and countdown timers easily.
Supporters can bid online or through text and get notifications once they get outbid by others. When the auction ends, they can send payments online and get instant receipts.
With Snowball, you can create unlimited campaigns and turn regular supporters into repeat donors by securing their credit card information for succeeding donations.
Other than auction events, this nonprofit software also allows for charity ticketing events, whether you offer paid event tickets or free registrations.
You can set up a capacity limit and automatically send tickets and receipts through email for paid ticketing events.
To manage volunteers and donors, this software comes with a database where you can add, update, and track all information available.
With it you can:
- Add notes
- Check logs
- See contribution history
- Search, sort, and filter history
- Bulk import supporters and transactions
Lastly, you can generate reports using your phone for increased transparency of the donation flow.
Pros And Cons Of Snowball
|Manage in-person, hybrid or digital fundraising auctions||Glitches in ticket purchasing|
|Easy to use|
Snowball Pricing Plan
Snowball has four pricing plans, the first one is free, but all four have standard inclusions like:
- Unlimited admin
- Mobile-optimized forms
- Recurring donor transactions
Now here are four plans:
- Essential (Free): This free plan gets you mobile-optimized giving pages, unlimited event registration, custom donation fields, and more.
- Premium ($549/year): This plan offers unlimited text-to-give, unlimited campaigns, unlimited event ticketing, 10,000/year email blasts, and more.
- Professional ($849/year): The second paid plan gets you unlimited auctions, unlimited text-to-bid, 3000/year outbound text blasts, 50000/year email blasts, and more.
- Enterprise ($999/year): This last paid plan includes custom integrations, merchant account options, text-to-give shortcodes, and more.
The Essential plan is already well-equipped with all the basic fundraising functionality. It’s a good choice if you’re looking for a cost-free tool to use. Get started with Snowball by visiting their site.
6. Wild Apricot – Easiest To Navigate
Customizable Free Donor Management Software For Task Management [Free Plan | $48/mo]
Wild Apricot has all the donor management tools to empower your organization.
It has a member database where you can search, update and share information with your teammates.
It’s equipped with an event management functionality to organize paid conferences or paid online events.
This tool is also designed with easy-to-use online payment tools for seamless transactions and receipt generation.
Best of all, it comes with a mobile app, so you manage and access everything wherever you are.
Pros And Cons Of Wild Apricot
|Easy to use||No membership ID system|
|Customizable member database||Limited reports|
|Easy registration and payment transactions|
|Has a mobile app|
|Integrated with communication tools to help you|
build a strong donor community
Wild Apricot Pricing Plan
Wild Apricot has standard inclusions for all plans like:
- Donation tools
- Mobile app access
- Online ticket selling
- Online payment integrations
- Cloud-based membership management
Mainly, the eight plans differ in contact capacity.
- Free: This plan allows you to manage 50 contacts.
- Personal ($48/mo): This plan enables about 100 contacts.
- Group ($60/mo): This one lets you have 250 contacts.
- Community ($110/mo): The Community plan allows you to manage 500 contacts.
- Professional ($190/mo): This plan enables 2,000 contacts.
- Network ($350/mo): This one accommodates up to 5,000 contacts.
- Enterprise ($420/mo): The Enterprise plan lets you manage 15,000 contacts.
- Global ($720/mo): This plan enables 50,000 contacts.
While Wild Apricot comes with a free plan, you also get a 30-day free trial for each of the paid plans. Your choice will mainly depend on how many contacts you expect to record and manage.
Additionally, if you plan to use it for the long term, you can prepay for one year or two years. It’ll get you 10% and 15% savings, respectively. Start your 30-day free trial by visiting their site.
7. Auctria – Most Intuitive Dashboard
Excellent Free Donor Management Software For Auctions [Free Plan | $300/yr]
Auctria is best for auction fundraising events.
It comes with a dashboard that gives you a quick glance at everything on one page.
This tool manages all aspects of auction events from:
- Auction catalogs
Any user with an internet connection can manage and view all auction events while the admins work seamlessly behind the scenes.
Supporters can browse auction items on a dedicated website that can be accessed on mobile devices too.
Once a bid is finalized, this tool provides a seamless process to manage collections, and later on report.
Don’t have a reliable internet connection in your area?
The good news, you can still work using Auctria’s offline client features. It allows you to install a downloadable version of your website on your computer or laptop.
It currently supports Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
Pros And Cons Of Auctria
|Quality support||Online bidding has some glitches|
|Covers auction processes seamlessly||Limited backend website portal|
|Well-organized auction categories|
Auctria Pricing Plan
Auctria has three main pricing plans.
- Free: The free plan allows for unlimited events, online/mobile bidding, silent/live auctions, 250 bidder/event, donation tracking, and more.
- Emerald ($300/year): The Emerald plan gets you everything in the Free plan plus 1000 texts/year, 750 bidders/event, consignment items tracking, and more.
- Diamond ($600/year): This plan gives you everything in the Emerald plan plus 3000 texts/year, 1000 bidders/event, and more.
The two paid plans have extended versions, these will include:
- Setup service
- Discovery calls
- Website design
- Event night phone support
Interested to get started with Auctria? Visit their site here.
8. Funraise – Best For Growing Nonprofits
Reliable Free Donor Management Software With In-Depth Reporting [Free Plan | Custom Pricing]
Funraise is designed to make fundraising work for growing nonprofits seamless.
It comes with a recurring giving function to offer easy regular donations and predictable monthly receivables.
It comes with an easy-to-create campaign website to manage all events in one place.
This nonprofit fundraising solution also provides advanced data reporting to supercharge your fundraising toolkit.
Pros And Cons Of Funraise
|Simple to navigate||Poor social media integration|
|Easy to download reports||Needs to be more robust|
|Seamless event process|
|Functional donor management system|
Funraise Pricing Plan
Funraise’s pricing plan is very straightforward. Either you get a free plan or a paid one.
- Free: The Free plan includes donations forms, pages, recurring donations functionality, donation management, and more.
- Enterprise (Contact sales to get pricing): The Enterprise plan gets you peer-to-peer fundraising, events and ticketing, text engagements, automated emails, wealth screening, and more.
The Free plan has all the essentials you need to make a fundraising event seamless. The paid plan can be used later on when scaling. If you’re looking to grab Funraise, visit their site to learn more.
The best donor management for me is Bloomerang.
It’s incredibly functional. It has tools to draw in potential donors, retain and nurture existing ones, and generate reports for transparency.
It even comes with engagement meters to prioritize interactions and maximize the support of donors.
Best of all, you get to manage and get quick updates within the dashboard.
It makes managing fundraising events very seamless.