Aren’t you impressed with WooCommerce functionalities and offerings? Then, explore these top-notch WooCommerce alternatives that are certainly worth your time and money.
I used WooCommerce when I first launched my online store. And I must say it indeed does an incredible job adding a professional eCommerce storefront on my WordPress website.
Unfortunately, it has a few drawbacks that don’t support the exact needs of my business as it grows. This is where I started looking for the best WooCommerce alternatives.
After long hours of testing and exploration, I finally compiled the top 7+ alternatives. Join me today as I uncover each alternative’s pros and cons, pricing structures, and other important details.
Let’s begin this comparison to find out which WooCommerce alternative is the better solution for your business.
- 1. WooCommerce Alternative: MemberPress
- 2. WooCommerce Alternative: Shopify
- 3. WooCommerce Alternative: FastSpring
- 4. WooCommerce Alternative: PrestaShop
- 5. WooCommerce Alternative: BigCommerce
- 6. WooCommerce Alternative: Ecwid
- 7. WooCommerce Alternative: Easy Digital Downloads
- 8. WooCommerce Alternative: Volusion
1. WooCommerce Alternative: MemberPress
All-In-One WordPress Plugin For Creating Subscription eCommerce Sites [$279 a year]
I’ll start the comparison with another excellent WordPress plugin – MemberPress.
Initially, this storefront plugin focuses on creating basic and full-blown, advanced membership websites. However, thanks to the technology’s vast improvements, it can now help you in selling any content and digital products.
From subscriptions and community access to corporate accounts and online courses, ease your mind you can sell them with ease.
You can also easily monitor and manage all your products’ sales activities and performances.
After installing this plugin to your WordPress site, you’ll be redirected to your dashboard. Here are a few of the incredible features you can expect to get:
- Advanced access rules: Provides you complete control over your content and other digital assets. Set it properly to ensure all your members can only access the digital products they’ve purchased.
- Content dripping: The features that allow you to release your content at a certain interval (scheduled). This is most advantageous to use for publishing new Podcast episodes and lessons (online course).
- Themes: Aside from WordPress themes, it can also work in any themes from WooCommerce, StudioPress, and custom themes. If you want full customization, you can also create your own CSS or HTML codes.
- Subscription management: This is an automated feature that gives you more time to relax while it takes care of everything. It works by permitting the users to create/update or cancel/upgrade their accounts, process payment through automated billing systems, and grant or revoke permissions (based on members’ subscriptions).
- Ultra-tight security: MemberPress is guaranteed secure and stable because it follows PHP and WordPress.org’s best coding practices.
- Simple integrations: Add payment providers, email marketing systems, and other third-party apps in a few clicks are made possible. Most of them are free.
MemberPress Pricing Plan
MemberPress created three annual pricing plans with a 14-day money-back guarantee:
- Basic ($279/year): The ideal plan for anyone building their first membership website. You can use it in one website, add unlimited content (membership, restricted content, and courses), accommodate unlimited members with basic add-ons and integrations.
- Plus ($449/year): Most suitable for freelancers to small business owners who want to sell Podcast memberships, forums, and communities. You can also access developer tools, advanced customization, and get priority support.
- Pro ($699/year): The ultimate plan for eCommerce merchants who want to sell corporate accounts, gifted membership, and more. All three payment methods are available.
The good advantages of MemberPress are they don’t charge additional transaction fees and often offer sales.
Visit its pricing web page now and see how much money you can save.
Memberpress vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Freelancers, content creators, bloggers, and small business owners||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Starts at $279/year||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Customizable checkout, content & Podcast protection, and content dripping||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Limited to 5 websites usage and no lifetime or monthly billing option available||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try Memberpress||Try WooCommerce|
2. WooCommerce Alternative: Shopify
Cloud-Based eCommerce Platform For Fully-Hosted Online Stores [$29 a month]
If you prefer a standalone online store, Shopify is one of the impressive options.
It is fully equipped with tools and features to set up your online store fast.
Don’t have a business name yet?
You can quickly come up with one using its business name generator (under the branding tool). Place a word that best describes your brand, and it will give you a wide variety of ideas.
They also created a version of this for a domain name.
Fast and secure checkout is another customer-approved feature of Shopify.
Through this feature, you can process small to large-volume payments hassle-free. You can also offer your customers a wide variety of payment options:
- Shop Pay
- Local and international credit cards
- Digital wallets
- Accept multiple currencies
To give users the ultimate flexibility, it also provides custom storefront tools.
Since Shopify is entirely cloud-based, you can access them on any latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, MS Edge, and Opera.
Read my WooCommerce vs. Shopify comparison post if you want to know their fundamental differences.
Shopify Pricing Plan
There are five subscription plans available:
- Basic Shopify ($29/mo.): This plan allows you to create an eCommerce website with a blog. You can add unlimited products, two staff accounts, four inventory locations, and more.
- Shopify ($79/mo.): This plan gives you all Basic features with a few upgrades such as adding five staff accounts and inventory locations, creating standard reports, and selling in 5 multiple languages.
- Advanced Shopify ($299/mo.): This plan is best for scaling businesses. You can add up to 15 staff accounts, eight inventory locations, create advanced reports, and set international prices.
- ShopifyPlus (Custom Pricing): This is the ultimate subscription plan for enterprise-level businesses. Contact the sales team to get a custom quote based on your needs and business requirements.
- Shopify Lite ($9/mo.): This subscription plan is dedicated to entrepreneurs who need a reliable POS system or are in need of a buy button to add to their existing website.
Shopify also offers a 14-day trial period, so you can test it out first before purchasing a subscription plan.
Shopify vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: New and experienced eCommerce merchants that sell in-person or online||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Starts at $29/year||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Intuitive and straightforward store builder with excellent branding tools||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Charge additional transaction fee for using third-party payment gateways||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try Shopify||Try WooCommerce|
3. WooCommerce Alternative: FastSpring
Web-Based eCommerce & Subscription Billing Platform For Software & SaaS [Free | By Quote]
There are tons of eCommerce platforms you can choose from for displaying and selling tangible products. Unfortunately, it’s not the same for non-tangible goods.
This is where FastSpring comes in.
At a glance, most of the features included are dedicated to making software and SaaS providers’ business scale at the maximum. But I can assure you it’s not limited to that.
You can also trust this full-service digital commerce platform in selling any type of digital download and product.
To ensure you’ll get the right tools and features for your business, they created their solutions based on specific business types:
- Selling B2B SaaS
- Selling digital products
- Selling via WordPress (using a simple plugin)
- Selling SaaS
- Selling Software
Once you create an account, you’re given a dashboard and an option to get started with a web storefront or pop-up storefront.
The web storefront consists of multiple pages to hold different information. It usually contains the following:
- Product and payment info
- Completion page
- Hosted cart
On the other hand, the pop-up storefront uses the store builder library to customize the checkout process. Start with this option, and your customer can complete their order without leaving your website.
The best part of this option is you can test it before publishing live.
All you have to do is set it in offline mode.
Expand your online store’s functions by adding extensions. I’ve added a screenshot to give you an idea of the type of extensions you can add.
FastSpring Pricing Plan
FastSpring offers quotation-based pricing.
You can get a personalized quote by clicking the get pricing button. It will lead you to their calendar page, where you can set your preferred meeting schedule.
If you want to explore it, you can always request a demo or sign up for their free account.
The free account allows you to start building your online store by adding all the essentials:
- Set up the checkout
- Add products (one-time purchase and bundles)
- Create coupons
- Configure simple and complex subscription models
- Access the store builder library
- Use APIs and webhooks to sync various systems such as your commerce and customer systems.
- Set up cross-sells and upsells (offers, discounts, fulfillments, etc.)
There is more you can do on your free account. The only limitation is processing transactions.
Get a firsthand experience by creating your free account.
FastSpring vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: SaaS & software companies of all sizes and eCommerce merchants||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Custom Quote (free plan available)||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Excellent processing of payments, refunds, and taxes||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: customer support team can be unresponsive at times and interface requires time to learn||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try FastSpring||Try WooCommerce|
4. WooCommerce Alternative: PrestaShop
Open-Source eCommerce Software With Impressive Out-Of-The-Box Features [Free]
PrestaShop offers a complete solution to build your online store, reach more customers, and grow your business.
In the store creation and development, you have two options:
- Build it from scratch using PHP scripts
- Or using any of the offered professionally-designed templates (total of 2,592)
Even if you choose a template, you can still get the look and feel you desire for your online store. All templates are customizable and easy to set up and update.
PrestaShop also offers a broad variety of modules (3,949 in total) to ensure your store will contain all the functionalities it needs.
After creating an account, you’re provided with the PrestaShop back office (administration panel).
This platform is where you will manage all elements and tasks you need to accomplish to keep your online store running smoothly. A few of these tasks are listed as follows:
- Manage store’s control panel and settings
- Add/edit/remove products
- Set up handling carriers
- Vouchers creation
- Keep in contact with customers
One of the advantages of PrestaShop is its impressive method of selling internationally.
They are packed with tools that allow you to fully translate your website into as many languages as you want. There are over 75 languages available to choose from.
You can also add a new currency to your online store if you have a specific location to target.
PrestaShop Pricing Plan
You read it right, PrestaShop is completely free to download and use. They don’t even charge commissions on your sales.
The only time you need to pay is when you add a premium template or add-ons. Also, when you’re ready to get a web host and domain extension.
Visit its website now to download its latest version.
PrestaShop vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Small to large businesses and medium-sized e-commerce merchants||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Available for free||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: eCommerce website builder with superb customization features||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Higher Server RAM suggested (min of 256MB) plus steep software learning curve||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try PrestaShop||Try WooCommerce|
5. WooCommerce Alternative: BigCommerce
Powerful eCommerce Platform For Entrepreneurs With Growing Businesses [$29.95 a month]
Helping you sell more online is the promise BigCommerce gives to all its users.
They keep their promise by equipping their platform with robust sets of features and tools. All these can help you achieve success in the following tasks:
- Build a stunning and functional online store using its Page Builder visual editor.
- Manage orders and accepts various payment methods (credit card, PayPal, digital wallets, and more)
- Consistent boosting of traffic and conversion rates using its built-in marketing tools.
- Reach your target customers and potential on social media networks and online marketplaces.
There are hundreds of apps available that can seamlessly interface with their catalog, order, shipping, and customer APIs. All of them are organized under the following categories:
- Accounting & Tax
- Catalog & Order Management
- Data Transfer & Migration Services
- Sales Channels
- Shipping & Fulfillment
Compared to WooCommerce, BigCommerce doesn’t charge additional transaction fees on all its subscription plans. It’s also easier to build and publish your online store.
You can even sell more on its platform thanks to its feature-rich eCommerce tools and features.
I’ve included my WooCommerce vs. BigCommerce comparison post if you want to know the head-to-head difference between the two.
BigCommerce Pricing Plan
BigCommerce offers four subscription plans that you can pay on a monthly or annual billing cycle.
- Standard ($29.95/mo.): Get this plan and start selling your products by creating an online storefront, connecting your offline and online store with POS hardware, and reach your customers on Facebook, Instagram, and other marketplaces (Amazon, eBay, or Walmart).
- Plus ($71.95): Avail of this plan if you wish to add customer groups and segmentation, abandoned cart saver, persistent cart, and automatically stored credit cards information.
- Pro ($269.96/mo.): Grow your online business to the next level by adding product filtering features, Google customer reviews, $400k online sales capacity per year, and more.
- Enterprise (Custom pricing): The recommended plan for anyone selling large volumes of products and expecting to achieve more than $400k online sales every year.
Explore BigCommerce’s features and interface free of charge by availing of its 15-day trial.
BigCommerce vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Startups, agencies, small to medium-sized businesses, and enterprises||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Starts at $29.95/month||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: No additional transaction fees & accepts 100+ currencies for payments||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Limited free themes available and online sales have a capacity limit per year||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try BigCommerce||Try WooCommerce|
6. WooCommerce Alternative: Ecwid
Easy-To-Use eCommerce Platform For Complete Beginner [Free | $15 a month]
With hundreds of big names, Ecwid is one platform that is often taken for granted.
But not anymore.
This cloud-based eCommerce platform is handy for anyone new to online selling. It provides you with all the tools and features you need to start your online business.
Since it’s cloud-based, there’s no complex, and time-consuming installation and setup needed.
All you have to do is register an account, and it will provide you with a control panel.
This platform is where you can access and manage your website settings and other essential store information.
Here are a few of the tools and features you can find on the control panel:
- Use the online store editor to add, remove, or update its appearance and content.
- Configure your preferred payment method – manual payment, Stripe, Square, PayPal, and more.
- Set up your shipping, delivery, and pickup method
- Connect to all your favorite sales channel or existing website
- Get third-party tools and extensions on the app market
If you’re also running a physical store, you can add a robust POS system to sync and track your online and offline sales easily.
Ecwid Pricing Plan
Ecwid created four simple subscription plans, which you can pay monthly or annually.
- Free: Start building your online store, sell ten products, and promote them on the following social media channels – Facebook, Google, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- Venture ($15/mo.): Aside from your Ecwid store, you can also add a Facebook shop, Instagram store, and mobile POS. You can sell up to 100 products (physical and digital).
- Business ($35/mo.): This plan gives you 2,500 products to sell – physical, digital goods, and gift cards. You can also apply discount coupons and run automated tax calculations.
- Unlimited ($99/mo.): Sell without the limitations. You can also add accounts for each staff member.
Start building your online store now by registering on its free plan.
Ecwid vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Agencies and entrepreneurs with small to medium-sized businesses||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Starts at $15/month||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Support 50 languages and can support in-person & online selling||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Sales tools are limited & no customer support provided on the free plan||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try Ecwid||Try WooCommerce|
7. WooCommerce Alternative: Easy Digital Downloads
WordPress eCommerce Plugin For Selling Digital Products [Free]
If you intend to focus on selling digital goods, Easy Digital Downloads (EDD) is the best WordPress eCommerce plugin to get.
Just like with WooCommerce, it’s easy to download and set up. So, ease your mind so that you can build your online store within minutes and hassle-free.
When it comes to selling your goods, you can do it effortlessly.
It’s built with a complete eCommerce solution that is proven effective in selling digital products. From educational content to different types of media files, you can sell it the way you want it.
Its front-end shopping cart is one of its excellent features.
It’s designed as an action button. You can also customize it by adding text to it, such as Buy Now or Add to Cart.
The best part of it is that you can add this feature on any web page you find necessary.
Place it on your product catalog, individual product description, and checkout page.
Attract and engage your visitors to purchase by offering limited-time discounts. EDD includes a section in your dashboard where you can create discount codes.
You can choose whether to create flat rate or percentage-based discount codes. You can also set its start and end dates to ensure it will only be available during those periods.
To prevent abuse of use, you can set a limit of usage per purchase or user.
Localize your online store by offering multi-language options. Not only will this gain the trust of your valuable customers, but also widen your reach of new customers.
Easy Digital Downloads Pricing Plan
Easy Digital Downloads are entirely free to download and use.
However, if you decide to add functionality to your store, you can always purchase an extension (official and third-party).
The best thing about these extensions is that you can purchase them through a single pass ($99-$499, billed yearly) or individually.
Get to know which options give you the most savings by visiting the Easy Digital Downloads pricing page.
Easy Digital Downloads vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Agencies and entrepreneurs with small to medium-sized businesses||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Available for free||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: 103 available extensions & themes that are useful for businesses of all types||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: No phone support available & not ideal for a complete beginner||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try Easy Digital Downloads||Try WooCommerce|
8. WooCommerce Alternative: Volusion
eCommerce Software Platform With Excellent Store Builder & Marketing Hub [$26.10 a month]
Choosing the right eCommerce platform can be stressful, both for newbies and experienced online merchants.
For this reason, I’ve decided to add Volusion to my list as a bonus.
This is one of the eCommerce and shopping cart software that is built for everyone. No matter what your skillset or knowledge in online store creation and design, you can make one fast and easy.
You can effortlessly do so because it provides a simple and on-point online store builder.
Inside the builder, you can choose a pre-designed template and edit it to apply your own style.
There are a total of 45 templates available in the theme center and 11 of them are free. If you want to update its color and font style, you can do it using the style editor.
All these features are placed inside the newly-updated dashboard.
The dashboard now contains all the features and tools. This is intended to achieve two goals: quick access and accomplish all tasks on a single page.
Volusion Pricing Plan
Volusion offer four premium subscription plans:
- Personal ($26.10/mo.): This plan allows you to process total online payments of $50k per year, add one staff account, sell 100 products, and more.
- Professional ($71.10/mo.): If your goal is to process up to $100k gross merchandise volume, then this is the recommended plan to get. It’s achievable because this plan allows you to sell up to 5,000 products.
- Business ($269.10/mo.): Sell unlimited products and get a $500k gross merchandise volume per year with this plan. You can also access the advanced report builder and other important business tools.
- Prime (Custom pricing): Get all of Volusion’s standard and advanced features, VIP support, a gross merchandise volume higher than $500k. This plan requires you to book a demo.
If you still have doubts about what Volusion can do for your business, you can always use its 14 days free trial period.
Volusion vs. WooCommerce At A Glance
|Best for: Online business projects, beginners, solopreneurs, & small business owners||Best for: Agencies, developers, eCommerce merchants, & SMB owners|
|Pricing: Starts at $26.10/month||Pricing: Starts at $29/month (free plan available)|
|Best feature: Unlimited bandwidth capacity for all subscription plans with superb analytics||Best feature: Free & customizable eCommerce platform, and runs on Windows & Unix|
|Cons: Automatic plan upgrade once you exceed the gross merchandise volume limit||Cons: No phone and live chat support available, & some extensions are costly|
|Try Volusion||Try WooCommerce|
Picking the best WooCommerce alternative is not an easy task. But after in-depth testing of each, I must say, Shopify is the clear winner.
Its complete solution allows you to build your online store with sufficient freedom for customization.
It can also support your business as it grows by providing simple integration with tons of extensions and third-party apps. No matter what functionalities you want to add, you can achieve it in just a few clicks.
The best part of using Shopify, you can fully host it as a standalone online store or add it to your existing WordPress website as a plugin.